BLAG
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/

WPA versus WEP versus open
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4913
Page 1 of 1

Author:  extraspecialbitter [ Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:43 am ]
Post subject:  WPA versus WEP versus open

just thought I'd get a few opinions on this, as I'm finding WEP somewhat unreliable (even "dodgy") on freeeee. is WEP really not much more secure than an unsecured network? Is WPA really the only option for a truly locked-down wireless network? Discuss...

Author:  noldrin [ Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

I always set up WPA. My home network is WEP because my roommate set it up before I moved in. I'm going to tell him it's insecure and I need to change it for work.

Author:  renilgh [ Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:23 pm ]
Post subject:  [blag-users] WPA versus WEP versus open

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:43:48 +0100
"extraspecialbitter" <paul@extraspecialbitter.com> wrote:

Quote:
just thought I'd get a few opinions on this, as I'm finding WEP
somewhat unreliable (even "dodgy") on freeeee. is WEP really not much
more secure than an unsecured network?
yes. http://chaosradio.ccc.de/camp2007_m4v_1943.html See "More
information" for abstract etc.
Of course WEP is still a bit more save in a way that everybody with any
wifi-hw/sw can get into your unsecured network while only people
equipped with cracking-enabled hw & sw can get into your WEP-"protected"
network. But these who do wont have any trouble. Among them may
most likely be the ones you wanted to keep out.
_______________________________________________
blag-users mailing list
blag-users@lists.blagblagblag.org
https://www.autistici.org/mailman/listinfo/blag-users

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Author:  jebba [ Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

noldrin wrote:
I always set up WPA. My home network is WEP because my roommate set it up before I moved in. I'm going to tell him it's insecure and I need to change it for work.


But why though for work? Just curious. Aren't you doing encrypted communications back to your work anyway? Seems to me the reason would be to prevent others from sharing your network

Author:  ewl [ Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

My home network uses WEP, only because my wife is paranoid. I really don't need it because my neighbors aren't close enough to use it, but I avoid arguments this way.

Author:  noldrin [ Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

jebba wrote:
noldrin wrote:
I always set up WPA. My home network is WEP because my roommate set it up before I moved in. I'm going to tell him it's insecure and I need to change it for work.


But why though for work? Just curious. Aren't you doing encrypted communications back to your work anyway? Seems to me the reason would be to prevent others from sharing your network


The work thing is far more of an excuse. A great deal of the communications to work is encrypted,, but some isn't.

Author:  stevo32 [ Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:43 am ]
Post subject: 

While I voted WPA, I use WPA2, since WPA has known issues and is vulnerable to dictionary attacks if a weak password is used. I'm more concerned about unauthorized access than anything else, especially because my router has some pretty incredible range. I live in a residential area and can walk at least 5 houses in any direction and I'll still have a solid signal -- erratic signals are available ever further. With so many people able to see the signal, I'm very cautious about security.

WEP = awful.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/