BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:26 am 

I bought the DVD from a dealer and the media test is ok. I've tried the normal install and the blagblagblag install and it gets to about 30 mins into install and then gives this message:

There was an error installing Xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-1 FC3.13
This can indicate media failure, lack of disk space and/or hardware problems.
This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try your install again.

I've tried a clean 120 gig hd and a clean 20 gig hd on 2 different boxes which I've never had trouble with before and have installed earlier versions of Blag on them with no probs.
Altough the DVD passed the media check I wonder if there could still be something wrong with it?

Maybe I'm missing something, not being an expert.
Your help will be appreciated
Thanks
bebop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:43 am 

I had the same problem. I just re-d/l'd, reburned, and the second time I had no problem. Know this is not the short easy answer, but it worked for me.

apteryx.

Post subject: Blag DVD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:17 pm 

Thanks apteryx,
I've sent a copy of these posts to the dealer to see what he thinks.
It would take me days to download the DVD.
The dealer is a nice guy and hopefully he'll try and get a better download.
Cheers
bebop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe someone local to you can dl it and burn? I tend to not even burn it. I just mount the iso.

Code:
mount -o loop -t iso9660 blagdvd.iso /mnt/dvd

or just put it in a script and run that each time you want to mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:03 pm 

I do have friend who could do it for me but he is about 2 hours away. I suppose he could email me the ISO.
In the meantime my dealer is going to burn me another at a slower rate on a better quality DVD.
Thanks for all your input. I'll get there in the end:-)
Regards
bebop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:42 pm 

You are right, I did forget to mention that I usually burn those things I value/need the most at nearly the slowest speed that I can tolerate waiting on. Dont know wheather or not this is a throwback to the days of old unreliable CD burners or what, but for most things, I have noticed a significant correlation between just working and the speed at which it was burned. I also hate to say this, but I have the best luck with any burns using NERO.

apteryx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:44 am 

apteryx,
I guess I've been lucky with K3B. I've burned loads of ISO's to disks since I started with Linux about a year ago and I just let it do it's automatic thing and never had a bad disk.
Cheers
bebop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:45 am 
Site Admin

The difference is Nero has two very different ways to burn a data CD and an ISO image. That for the people I know is 99% of the problems they have when in BLAG they don't tell the burning app that they are burning an ISO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

FWIW, I ordered 4 blag CDs and 2 DVDs from vendors and, uh, half the CDs failed media checks :(

I have a page on it in the wiki:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/BLAG30k_CDs

Perhaps we could post our reports there and see which vendor appears the most reliable.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Well maybe we could become our own vendors? Maybe getting one in each country could be a bonus. PayPal can be used to pay shipping costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:02 am 
Site Admin

Jason wrote:
Well maybe we could become our own vendors? Maybe getting one in each country could be a bonus. PayPal can be used to pay shipping costs.

Man, I really don't want to become a vendor or deal with all that. But if you want to either individually or as part of the BLAG (group), that would be fine of course. (In fact, it's well beyond me.)

To me, if we start charging (even for shipping costs), we may bring on a headache we don't really want.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

I think though we may well be losing thousands of potential users. Everyone I know who has purchased from a vendor says ah screw it when it goes wrong. Everyone I give a working CD to is the exact opposite. It is not so much wanting to do it or to make any money from it but more to give all potential blaggers a chance to actually install.

It so pisses me off when I am given a CD of a Linux distro and the mediacheck won't even pass. Most of the time it is late at night and if I wasn't such a night person I would say ah forget it back to BLAG/Windows. That is coming from someone who has BLAG as a default OS. So imagine the newbies to Linux who don't know what they are missing.

We could have the official vendors being BLAG members with a guarantee that mediacheck will pass. It stops them cowboys out there who just mass burn 8 CD's at once and screw up the chance for us to get more users.

I will see what I can set up at jason.blagblagblag.org in the next month or so. I got a redirect on that right now so leave it as it is and I will announce something when I find a way to work it.

I want to find people I personally can rely on to help with it. You don't have to be the US person Jeff as I personally would rather your time be spent on what you do best. You do stuff some of us can't and because of it we get this wonder OS. So we can help out with distributing CD's.

Charging even for shipping costs might be seen as a headache but we don't have the sponsorship other distros who send out free CD's have and costs involved need to be covered. Otherwise sending out 100 CD's per month at the cost of £1.70 or whatever is going to add up. If you think it may tarnish the BLAG name to involve money, then fair enough we can not use BLAG and do it individually as a BLAG distributor group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think it would tarnish anything if blaggers sold disks, I just think it would be a bit of a pain. But that's just me. I don't even open my snail mail. ;)

But when selling, I think the "purchaser" has a different perspective on what their expectations are than someone who just grabs it for free or gets it from another vendor.

While there may be some vendors that just burn quickly and don't bother with verifying their burns, there must be a good one or more out there. We should just figure out who that is, and direct people to that vendor.

That said, if you want to start selling the CDs, it's GPL. ;) Go for it. I think we should list multiple vendors on the download page though.

Have fun,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:23 pm 

Quote:
There was an error installing Xorg-x11-devel-6.8.2-1 FC3.13
This can indicate media failure, lack of disk space and/or hardware problems.
This is a fatal error and your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try your install again.

I had exactly the same error message doing an "Everything" install from a self-burned DVD that passed a md5sum check. I don't think the medium was mucked up. I used the same disc to successfully do a fairly standard install without the Blackbox stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

I've been thinking of selling distros for a while now. I've sold a couple to mates at work and my on-line buddies for £2.00 (that's two pounds sterling) including shipping in the UK. So far that's been fine, twenty or so sold so far.

Dunno if I'm at all comfortable with a large scale operation. I know the ppl that I have sold cds to so far. I'm more than happy burning about five cds a day, checking them, and putting them in UK post. Dunno about doing loooads of cds though. [Speaking for myself here]. Being so cheap it's obvious that I'm not expecting to retire from that ;-)

Well I have the bandwidth, (or at least a decent home adsl connection) and a good burner. I always burn at speed=2.

Code:
cdrecord -pad -dao -v -eject speed=2 name_of_image.iso

has not failed me so far