BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:53 am 

About me: I am very new to Linux, I'm looking for a good alternative to Windows without the big bucks of a new OS or a Mac. I'm an old hat with Windows tweaking, however, and am pretty good with hardware. I downloaded, burned, and installed BLAG without a hitch, everything works great--except the sound card. The sound card is an integrated Neomagic 256AV in a Gateway solo 2500.

What I've done so far after the original installation: 1. Scoured this site and looked for any information. I found four or five posts with similiar problems, and tried every fix they suggested. The volume levels won't move, soundcard detection tells me "no soundcards were detected", and the hardware is fine, 2. google searches up the wazoo for solutions, 3. multiple "soundcard detections" from the Main Menu, 4. used apt-get update to make sure everything was updated, 5. paid a visit to http://www.alsa-project.org/ to find their fix, only to get so far and wind up more confused. The exact page is here. I logged in as root, and followed the instructions the best I could. However, when I typed cp /downloads/alsa=* . I got an error message "cannot stat `/downloads/alsa=*': No such file or directory. I Googled this error message and got no answers, so I skipped it and moved on. Next it asked me to unzip and install the different packages, but it could not find any files when I tried. I used apt-get install to install all the files it was asking for, did the chmod step, and inserted the modules into the kernel. I tried the modprobe, but got "command not found". At this point I got frustrated with the web site and moved on to try other things. After each step I rebooted the computer.

I also found this site which suggests to compile external modules to get the thing to work. I tried to research how to do this but the answers were either incomplete or too complicated for me to understand.

I really like this os and would like to keep it, and this is just my email/irc/im'ing computer, so sound isn't absolutely essential, but I still would like to fix it. Help Please!!!