BLAG
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/

lifebook 2020
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4931
Page 1 of 1

Author:  zcat [ Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:46 pm ]
Post subject:  lifebook 2020

ok so i was given a Fugitzi seimens lifebook to upgrade for a mutual friend of the old owner and I thought I would put blag on it rather than windows
the guy its for has never user any linux os's only mac so it has to be foolproof for him he is in no way techy minded and I dont want to have to do any support , so my questions are
will i be able to configure it for him
will blag work on it considering its got a weird screen resolution 1280 x 600
he is an artist so picture editing has to work and maybe some video editing He would have to plug his camera in and have it recognised without any terminal stuff (im bad at that but he wouldnt have a clue) and he wouldn't know the first thing about command line
also he only has web access in public places like library's so cannot connect to anyone and ask for help even if he knew what help he needed he and lives to far from me to drop round to have me sort it !

the spec of it is

633MHz Transmeta Crusoe TM5600 with 512Kb of on-die Level 2 cache, 128Mb of PC133 SDRAM, ALi M1535 motherboard chipset, 15Gb Toshiba MK1517GAP hard disk, 8x Panasonic DVD-ROM, 4Mb ATi Rage Mobility-M PCI graphics, 10in 1,280 x 600 TFT screen, ALi M1535 and Sigmatel STAC9723 audio, integrated stereo speakers, integrated Lucent V.90 modem, one Type II PC Card slot, plus ports for two USB, VGA, S-Video out, IEEE-1394, Windows ME. Dimensions 264 x 183 x 334mm (W x D x H). Weight: 1.5kg.

btw win ME has already been wiped :) but its a lovely little machine
thanks for any help


later this eve
I just been reading the slaveware forum and am now thinking, well this guy like most will want to play mp3's, wmv avi flv and quicktime vids can you do all that with the newest blag he is no tech and just wants to use whats out there and wont understand if he cant play certain types of formats he is pissed at mac and windozs and will just get pissed at linux if he cant use all that stuff (so pissed at mac he murdered his ibook, threw it against a wall !!)
so should I bother putting any linux on it for him?

Author:  stevo32 [ Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:47 am ]
Post subject: 

If mac frustrates him to the point where he's throwing the ibook against the wall, I wish this laptop the best of luck. ;)

On that note, yes, flv, mp3, etc. all work perfectly in the latest blag. Install stuff like cinelerra, the gimp, audacity, etc.

However, that machine looks a bit old to be running GNOME on the latest version of blag, you might want to use an older version (70000?) or not run GNOME at all (definitely preferable).

Author:  jebba [ Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:11 am ]
Post subject: 

Another option would be 90k but with openbox or something.

You'll have to do a text install on something with so little RAM. Doubling the RAM on that thing would go a long ways, if it can be found.

Author:  zcat [ Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:54 am ]
Post subject: 

stevo32 wrote:
If mac frustrates him to the point where he's throwing the ibook against the wall, I wish this laptop the best of luck. ;)

well its been given to him by his teacher and installed by me so that should put him off trashing it as he has a fair bit of respect for us :)

Quote:
On that note, yes, flv, mp3, etc. all work perfectly in the latest blag. Install stuff like cinelerra, the gimp, audacity, etc.

kool
Quote:
However, that machine looks a bit old to be running GNOME on the latest version of blag, you might want to use an older version (70000?) or not run GNOME at all (definitely preferable).

I got a copy of 70000 so will give that a go and see what happens

Author:  zcat [ Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:58 am ]
Post subject: 

jebba wrote:
Another option would be 90k but with openbox or something.

You'll have to do a text install on something with so little RAM. Doubling the RAM on that thing would go a long ways, if it can be found.


ok will try openbox.
if i can find the ram, its quite cheap so am planning to upgrade to 256m
thanks

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/