FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
OpenWengo / WengoPhone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: OpenWengo / WengoPhone Reply with quote

We should get Wengo in the Blag repository. It is a SIP program, like Skype. Only under the GPL, and it doesn't suck (TM).

Any ideas?

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have poked at it, but haven't built a package yet. It uses QT4.

The package i recommend right now is kiax. It's a bit awkward to use with blasterisk, but it does work and it uses IAX2 instead of SIP, so it is more likely to connect from behind NATs. It's more basic than wengofoo.

-Jeff

dylan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad not one of these programs is compatible with another...they all use their own network!

i have friends who use wengo, skype, and gizmo, but skype and gizmo are proprietary, so i dont use them.

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wengo uses SIP, which is open. Asterisk's IAX2 is open as well, but not widely implemented. Skype is proprietary crap. ;)

SIP is far and away the most commonly used of the above. BLASTERISK can do SIP and IAX2.

So with BLASTERISK you can have one person on an IAX2 phone call someone on a SIP phone. :)

-Jeff

dylan3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Ekiga, and I must say: Replace kiax with Ekiga.

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, ekiga is nice. It's the new name of gnomemeeting.

It does quite a bit more than kiax. But it does SIP not IAX2, so it can have problems behind NATs (which many people use) and it is at least 10x bigger too.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP