FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Release IP address

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arrowhead
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Release IP address Reply with quote

Hi alll,
I was wondering if anyone knew how to release an IP address in Blag or any Linux for that matter.
I want to install Blag on an old box and then to do an update on the net using my cable modem. In order to use a different network card with my cable modem I need to release the IP address from the network card I am using at the moment.
I know how to do it in windows because my ISP has instructions on how to do it on their pages.
When I know how to do it in Linux I will email them the instructions and request the amend their site :) (no chance that's gonna happen but it's worth a try)

Here are the instructions for windows in case they are of any help,

Windows 9x, ME users: Start -> Run -> type winipcfg and then click the Release All button on the resulting window.

Windows XP, 2000, NT4 users: Start -> Run -> type cmd and then at the prompt type ipconfig /release.

David

TSS_Killer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest thing to do is unplug the cable modem for 30secs and plug it back in.
arrowhead
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks demitri_88,
I thought that would work as well, but I've tried it and it doesn't :(

David

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it in the menu somehow, methinks. But since I prefer the command line, I'll show you that. Assuming it is the only ethernet card in the box, run this command as root:

Code:
/sbin/ifdown eth0

If you want to bring it back up, run:

Code:
/sbin/ifup eth0

If you have multiple cards, it's eth0, eth1, eth2, etc...

-Jeff

Ronald_from_Holland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: ip release? Reply with quote

With some providers you must call them and ask them to renew the lease if you have a different network card (different mac address)

To get a new ip through dhcp try this:

type :
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down

then type:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up

arrowhead
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, I will give it a try at the weekend and I will let you know how I get on.

David

kazimkazim
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: RE: renew IP Address Reply with quote

Restarting network services and using ifup may not be required, try:
Code:
dhclient eth0

will look for a dhcp server and renew IP address from it.

If you need to force a new IP altogether, look in:
Code:
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth0.leases

and clean it up if necessary. See also the files in the same directory. Just deleting .leases does no harm either. I think ;)

kazim
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: IP Address Reply with quote

All this assumes your IP Address is not set as static. Each eth interfaces details are located in:
Code:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Easier still, run:
Code:
netconfig

and star the box what sez "Use Dynamic IP Configuration". In this case you MUST restart network services.
good luck.

arrowhead
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that all I had to do was unplug the cable modem for a bit. When I tried that last my ISP had just upgraded their system so you no longer had to ring them and register a mac address, wether they have changed something since then or I just did something stupid last time I don't know :? .

Thanks for the help anyway.

David

PS. For those interested the install of Blag 10K went well on the old PC, a 266Mhz Celeron with 256Mb RAM. It's not running at light speed but it's very usable.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP