BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:01 pm 

In the last two presidential elections in the United States I found myself in the unfortunate position of voting for the Democratic candidates because this "lesser evil" seemed so considerably less evil than the neo-cons and christian fundamentalists who run the Republican party. I even got outraged at the way the Republicans manipulated public opinion by using the 9/11 attacks to stir up fear of everything alien.

But looking at the way the Democratic Party has been kissing the Israel lobby's ass in defending Israel's brutal attack on innocent civilians in Lebanon, has completely disgusted me. I can't vote for these people. I don't care how bad the Republicans are. I'll either vote for Ralph Nader, the Greens, or sit the elections out.

One example of this is Hillary Clinton: “We will support [Israel’s] efforts to send a message to Hamas, Hezbollah, to the Syrians, to the Iranians, to all who seek death and domination instead of life and freedom,â€

Last edited by ewl on Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:36 pm 

I'm with you, Ed. Utterly revolting. I felt the same way about the US media and elected officials coming up to the Iraq war in 2003. But today the posturing that Democrats are resorting to in order to make themselves look "staunchly pro-Israel" is even more nauseating than their spineless failure to prevent the war in 2003. (Though we should probably admit that the total amount of misery inflicted upon the Iraqi people since 2003 is probably many thousands of times worse than what the Lebanese have suffered during the past few days).

Speaking of Ralph Nader, he has a good open letter to Bush here: http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0718-33.htm

Quote:
Dear President Bush:

You have been a weak president, despite your strutting and barking, when it comes to doing the right things for the American people within the Constitution and its rule of law. This trait is now in bold relief over the Israeli government's escalating war crimes pulverizing the defenseless people and country of Lebanon.

Imagine a Democrat saying something like that! Not likely.

Tom Hayden has a very interesting article about the pressures he faced to be a "Friend of Israel" while a young Democratic state legislator here:
http://www.counterpunch.org/Hayden07202006.html

It's definitely worth reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:15 pm 

And it's much the same in the UK with Blair being dragged along in Bush's wake.

I have to say though that Bush should be more concerned about global warming than Middle East politics. Tel Aviv and Beirut will find that they have something in common when they are both 10 feet under water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:50 am 

rtowen wrote:
And it's much the same in the UK with Blair being dragged along in Bush's wake.

I have to say though that Bush should be more concerned about global warming than Middle East politics. Tel Aviv and Beirut will find that they have something in common when they are both 10 feet under water.

But Bush doesn't believe in global warming. There isn't just a war on terror, there is also a war on science. Evolution, global warming are all part of some left wing agenda, according to the administration.

I don't understand Blair at all. I don't see what he thinks he's accomplishing. He's not as stupid as Bush so it can't be that. It's almost as if he's trying to replay Neville Chamberlain's historic role as the great appeaser. His position is so unpopular in the UK, how does he survive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

He survives because we can't vote him out yet. That and the fact the opposition are almost as incompetent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:23 am 

The only UK politician that I thought made any sense recently was Charles Kennedy, of the Liberal Democrats. He always said that if we want better police, education and health services then we have to pay for them. For me this was just common sense - there's no such thing as a free lunch. He was also a very likeable character who hosted TV quiz shows now and again. Sadly he turned out to be an alcoholic, but nobody is perfect after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:22 pm 

In the USA we have two parties. The "party of the left", i.e. the Democrats are to the right of most of the parties of the right in Europe. When the Democrats had the Presidency and a majority in both houses of congress they couldn't pass a watered down national health plan. The one that got hashed out, and finally failed, guarenteed that it would be dominated by private insurance companies. But even that wasn't good enough to pass.

It's very depressing to be a person of the left in the United States.

I feel like an old lady talking about how my gout is much more painful than your arthritis...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

rtowen wrote:
He always said that if we want better police, education and health services then we have to pay for them.

If we want better police we have to /stop/ paying them. :)

Enjoy the free lunch,

-Jeff