BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:28 am 

Perhaps this should have been in the request area, but that one is starting to fill up.

One thing that would save me configuration time is a "command-terminal and developer freaks" install. I've come to expect certain things from good distros: 1) I expect that everything on the command line actually works, and has all its relevant manuals (and *only* the relevant manuals) so the system doesn't have to be researched to be configured; 2) I expect for necessary development tools to be available, such as gcc and g++, libraries, etc; 3) X is available, but *only* X and its libraries (including devel): no gdm, no xdm running, etc.; 4) I have yet to see a distro that doesn't install a bunch of extraneous stuff that looks like the distro was put together from an installed system, then piece-mealed. Blag/Fedora is much better than many with #4, but I still find things laying around when typing "whereis" that make me think something is available, only to realize it isn't.

I don't want a minimal install (which takes an eternity to build back up), nor do I want a graphics heavy install, nor do I want to spend an hour hand selecting everything and hope the developers got the dependency checking right (and not excessively, with every necessary depend required: ugh!). A base system from the command line, with all the essential tools, and the availability of X so that I can add X applications as I need them, would be perfect, especially if a small(!) selection committee were willing to pay careful attention to what was selected.

It really is unfortunate that the concept of a "base system" doesn't seem prevalent with GNU+Linux. The majority of GNU+Linux users are of two kinds: newbies, half of which don't remain, and hardened users that don't like all the newbie crap, but don't want to build their system from scratch for the 1000th time. The closest I have found to this ideal thusfar (besides the UNIX/BSD world) is Core Linux (which didn't have X, unfortunately), but alas Core is dead. Debian and Slackware are two other distros, but they also seem to focus on the minimal concept. Of the GNU website-listed distros, this one seems to be the best put together, but still takes me awhile to scale things down to how I want them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:05 am 
Site Admin

Well, if you can put together the required stuff for anaconda with packages selected in such a manner that you want, and it only uses packages from the CD, then we might consider it for inclusion. As for development tools on the CD, I'm going to whack that idea down right now, we don't have space for that and if we did we wouldn't use it for that. You might want to consider rolling your own CD/DVD.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:26 pm 

Quote:
Well, if you can put together the required stuff for anaconda with packages selected in such a manner that you want, and it only uses packages from the CD, then we might consider it for inclusion.

The idea was to stick with what you already have, barring X devel, and gcc/g++.

Quote:
As for development tools on the CD, I'm going to whack that idea down right now, we don't have space for that and if we did we wouldn't use it for that.

That was the point I was making with the suggestion, hoping I wasn't the only person who thought that way. I like the idea of a single CD distro. It keeps things simple. I agree that gui oriented tools are important, especially for attracting new users, and for simplifying the setup process, but in my mind, extraneous gui applications are supplementary to some absolute basics. gcc/g++ and the X devel tools don't take up that much space, requiring the sacrifice of only a couple of gui apps that only a few people may even notice are missing. I'll bet a lot notice that the devel tools are missing. Who doesn't install software from source at some point?

I leave my suggestion on that note, to be taken or left as is popular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

sinuhe wrote:
Who doesn't install software from source at some point?

Heh. I bet by far the majority of blag users, actually. In fact, I would say a majority hasn't even found the forums....

What is "base" or "common" is pretty unique to the individual.

I'd suggest just doing a minimal install and having an "apt-get install" script install the packages you commonly want for your base. That's easy & quick to reproduce on other systems. It will also take care of any dependencies.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

^^ what jebba said. Say I create a file called "shiznit.thing". It's just a long list of packages. I install a very minimal blag system on a box and run this as root;
cat /path/to/siznit.thing | xargs apt-get -y install
That's going to run off and install just the things that I want for that box and it's dependencies. Each line in "shiznit" refers to a name of a package.
I ran a couple of machines somewhere so I'd have a "shitznit" file for various categories of servers.