BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Changing to BLAG
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:13 pm 

I'm currently using Mandrake 10.0 and I'm considering changing it into BLAG. Before I do so I have a few questions...

1. Can I use the development version? I mean is it stable enough for daily use? Since I have 2.6 kernel in mandrake and I wouldn't want to change back into 2.4. I'd like to use the newest software possible.

2. If I would start to use the development version can I install fedora core 2 packages in it?

3. Is it possible to upgrade the development version to stable 20000 when it is released?

4. When is it approximately relased?

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

1. From what I've heard the development version is quite stable.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No idea....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:01 am 

Downloading it right now.

I assume that BLAG installation is about the same to Fedora / RedHat.

I'm thinking of putting it in the same harddrive as my mandrake. BLAG uses the same installation program as fedora. Doesn't it? In this finnish distribution LBA they had made their own installation program (or changed the original into a wrong direction) which was in my opinion terrible. There was no manual partitiontool. The only way to install it was to make partitions automatically which meant about the same for me than formatting my harddrive.

Is this ok for BLAG?

/boot ext2 64mb
swap 600mb (memory 256mb)
/ ext3 rest

I'm also going to use the same swap that I use in mandrake. Can I use the same /boot -partition (this might be a stupid question, but I honestly don't know)?

By the way... Downloading is taking about 13 hours with my connection.

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:51 am 
Site Admin

matti wrote:
I assume that BLAG installation is about the same to Fedora / RedHat.

Yes, more or less. It uses Fedora's anaconda, but with some mods. It also has pre-defined kickstart installs that partition, format (erase!), install, configure, etc. with No user intervention. This is for wiping a system, but that doesn't sound like what you want to do here. You can do the regular install method by hitting <enter> at the boot: prompt of the CD.

matti wrote:
Is this ok for BLAG?

/boot ext2 64mb
swap 600mb (memory 256mb)
/ ext3 rest
I'm also going to use the same swap that I use in mandrake. Can I use the same /boot -partition (this might be a stupid question, but I honestly don't know)?

That looks fine. You could use the same /boot as mandranke, but I'm not sure i recommend it...Might get confused which kernel where...

matti wrote:
By the way... Downloading is taking about 13 hours with my connection.

Youch. You doing it via bittorrent? Sometimes that's better/faster if you're familiar with it.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:35 pm 

jebba wrote:
You could use the same /boot as mandranke, but I'm not sure i recommend it...Might get confused which kernel where...

Mandrake kernel has mdk in its name so I don't think I'll be confused.

jebba wrote:
Youch. You doing it via bittorrent? Sometimes that's better/faster if you're familiar with it.

No, I'm just downloading it from the server. And no, I'm not that familiar with bittorrent. But I don't see how that could be faster for me because my ISP has limited my incoming and outgoing speed. This is as fast as it gets (I think). My speed is currently 128 / 64. I just leave my computer on for one night and then it's downloaded. Anyways I already have downloaded 64 % of the iso.

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:37 pm 

Now I've installed BLAG. It looks great. But I have a few questions.

Anaconda found my monitor (which bit of a suprise for me since in FC1, RH9 and MDK10 didn't). The monitor anaconda found was different than my monitor. It was HEI0770. My monitor is Hyundai DeluxeScan S770. Where can I see the vertical and horizontal frequencies? I couldn't find them. I noticed this after the installation (if I had earlier I wouldn't have continued).

I also had some problems with grub. I decided not to install a bootloader so It wouldn't mess up my current bootloader. I thought it would be easy just to add a few lines to grub.conf but I couldn't find it. Maybe because I installed grub afterwards. Well I ended up changing menu.lst . I'm extremely glad everything works.

How can I change the default charset from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-15 atleast for gnome-terminal permanently?

So far BLAG looks and feels great. I'm using it right now.

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Star -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution -> Refresh Rate

For gnome-terminal:

Edit -> Profiles -> Uncheck "Use the system terminal font" and set to whatever font you like. You can download more fonts with Synaptic/apt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:37 am 
Site Admin

matti wrote:
loading it from the server. And no, I'm not that familiar with bittorrent. But I don't see how that could be faster for me because my ISP has limited my incoming and outgoing speed. This is as fast as it gets (I think). My speed is currently 128 / 64. I just leave my computer on for one night and then it's downloaded. Anyways I already have downloaded 64 % of the iso.

Well 128k would download at a max speed 16kbps on a line without noise. So 13 hours is perhaps not too ridiculous as even 512k can sometimes take 2-3 hours to download a complete ISO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:50 pm 

stevo32 wrote:
For gnome-terminal:

Edit -> Profiles -> Uncheck "Use the system terminal font" and set to whatever font you like. You can download more fonts with Synaptic/apt.

That wasn't what I meant. But I got some help from finnish newsgroup sfnet.atk.linux
I meant I have to get rid of UTF-8 as the default character set and replace it with ISO-8859-15. That's because UTF-8 doesn't work well with skandinavian signs (a with dots, etc.). Well, no it's fixed.

Sorry if use the wrong words. I might get missunderstood. My english not so bad :o

Matti

Post subject: Bad joke
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:04 am 
If you were running Mandrake 10 you certainly know what is is to be under a perpetual developement operating system. I never know a stable version of MDK.
I also tried Suse since 7.0 and RedHat since 7.0 and I always be satisfied by their stability levels.
If you took a look to kernel.org you have see that Linus had given a new 2.6 release to Christmas.
On my mind 2.6 kernel is a revolution that needs to be full debugged before I install, so for the moment I stay into last 2.4 release.

So I already write it on the forum, my waiting as BLAG release is to have functionnal apps prefered than lastest apps.