FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
May I ask for totem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totem looks nice, but I haven't used it yet. I put the RH9 version of it from freshrpms in the blag repository. You can grab it thusly:

apt-get update
apt-get install totem

I'm awfully low on space for new applications in 10000. I may have to leave this one just in the repository as there are already these video players in blag:

mplayer (gmplayer with gui)
videolan-client
xine

Perhaps I could move videolan to the repository and include totem. I've always found videolan a bit perplexing...

Thanks,

-Jeff

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't added totem to the repository yet. I'll get on it.

It looks like there is a conflict between what totem in freshrpms requires (assuming that's where you were getting it from) and what's in blag. This is one of the main issues I'm focusing on in 10000--getting BLAG to play with the mega-merge repositories nicely. In general it works fine, but needs tuning.

I've installed blag on a zillion different keymaps. To set the keyboard, you can run (in text or graphical mode):

redhat-config-keyboard

Which BR dictionaries are you trying to load?

-Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Actually I was speaking of installing pt_BR layout on a US international keyboard ( as you can see ć ,this sign means nothing in portuguese, the acute C does not exist, I need a C with a comma bellow, the so named CEDILHA or CEDILLA). In Debian you should call it * locale*. I'm trying to debug this little issue a little bit more but if you can help me, I'll be very grateful.

Another issue I had in installing BLAG concerns the partitioning of the disk. I didn't get trough the resize partition as intended in anaconda, so I needed to keep the automatic partition as a grant or, as I did, the manual partition. The other option was to accept a whole / 60Gb partition

Also I had issues issuing a particular IP to my computer. I only could accept the DHCP option as I couldn't neither assign the FQDN name of the computer neither the gateway nor the primary DNS.

The most friendly installation of BLAG I could get, was a computer at home, where I did a plain RH( install and apt-cdrom installing the most significant packages, namely in the Sound & Video section, I have also included all the wallpapers and theme.

I'm writting down here all these comments in the sense to help you with these (and maybe other) minor issues.

If i may also suggest you something more, I think you know the Debian based Linux distro Libranet, who shares some of the concepts i think you are following, in the sense to simplify installation and the use of a major branch of Linux. In its page of support you can read about many improvements Libranet made, including some *update scripts*, very easy and forgiving to follow.

What I mean is to publish some scripts to automate to update from a plain RH9 to BLAG, one of the best blend of packages I ever seen till now. It may also help in the transition between the 9000 and 10000 series

It worth a reading in http://www.libranet.com and specially on http://www.libranet.com/support on the 2.8/2.81 subsection.

All I say here is in the sense of improving your outstanding BLAG and grant this for good. If I can help you anyway please tell me and I'll happilly do it!

Regards,

JAcques

NicePics13
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Totem used for video thumbnail rendering in Nautilus?
I installed totem-xine from rpm.livna.org as Xine has better windows media support.

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP