BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:42 am 
hi,

Im a recent (last day or so) windows convert, and so far Ive managed to get blag set up on my laptop, with all the settings how i want them. i can connect to the internet no problem (posting this through laptop) but the only thing is that i cant find how to get to the network-shared folders on my desktop - i am connected through an adsl 4port router, and both are plugged in and switched on. in windows i would have gone to network neighbourhood then workgroup etc. but whats the equivalent with blag? if i go to "Network Servers" i get the error message

Quote:
"Couldn't display "smb:///", because no host "(null)" could be found. Check that the spelling is correct and that your proxy settings are correct."

i have all the settings in network settings to "automatically detect"

hopefully its dead easy to solve :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:38 pm 

Jags (included in BLAG) can do all that. Linneighbourhood as well.

But underneath they are all using "smbclient". Its useful to know about smbclient cos if it aint working, the guis dont stand a chance of working. You have to install samba-client first if its not installed. Also please install nmap. To do this from a root# terminal :
Code:
apt-get update

Code:
apt-get install samba-client

Code:
apt-get install nmap

OR use synaptic.

Now we have the tools.. try these commands:

Code:
nmap -p 139 x.x.x.*
(change x.x.x as appropriate for your network)
- Produces list of all the windows machines (or those running smb) on your network.

- Lets choose one of those, in my network I choose 192.168.1.10
Code:
smbclient -L //192.168.1.10 -U xxxx
(change xxx to your username)
- This should prompt you for password and display a list of shares on that machine like this:
Code:
       commonspace    Disk   freespace for all
       mysql-php      Disk      Lamp services
       phaser350      Printer   test phase

Code:
mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxx //192.168.1.10/commonspace /mnt/mountpoint

- will mount the share above called commonspace into /mnt/mountpoint. A bit like "net use f:..." does in windows. Remember that only root will have rw access to this mount, for help on that problem see: http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Fstab

You can also use the netbiosname of the target machine instead of the ip address, but you may have to fix it in resolve.conf if it wont respond to name pings..

ps
Code:
Can anyone tell me why its insisting on labelling all my code with "code"???

have a nice day,
-n00bie

Last edited by kazim on Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

It may just be that samba isn't installed like kazim says:

apt-get update
apt-get install samba-client

Then try running the browser dealie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:10 pm 
thanks for the tips - i have now managed to mount a shared folder into the linux box, and to copy a couple of files over, so Im feeling rather chuffed with myself.

I did have samba and jags installed, but jags didnt seem to work very well...Im just getting the 9002 updates, (just realised I was using 9001 which i got ages ago) then ill have another play with it.

thanks again for the help - Im determined to learn linux

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:01 am 
[quote="kazim"]Jags (included in BLAG) can do all that. Linneighbourhood as well.

But underneath they are all using "smbclient". Its useful to know about smbclient cos if it aint working, the guis dont stand a chance of working. You have to install samba-client first if its not installed. Also please install nmap. To do this from a root# terminal :
[code]apt-get update[/code]
[code]apt-get install samba-client[/code]
[code]apt-get install nmap[/code]
OR use synaptic.

Now we have the tools.. try these commands:

[code]nmap -p 139 x.x.x.*[/code] (change x.x.x as appropriate for your network)
- Produces list of all the windows machines (or those running smb) on your network.

- Lets choose one of those, in my network I choose 192.168.1.10
[code]smbclient -L //192.168.1.10 -U xxxx [/code](change xxx to your username)
- This should prompt you for password and display a list of shares on that machine like this:
[code] commonspace Disk freespace for all
mysql-php Disk Lamp services
phaser350 Printer test phase[/code]

[code]mount -t smbfs -o username=xxxx //192.168.1.10/commonspace /mnt/mountpoint[/code]
- will mount the share above called commonspace into /mnt/mountpoint. A bit like "net use f:..." does in windows. Remember that only root will have rw access to this mount, for help on that problem see: [url]http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Fstab[/url]

You can also use the netbiosname of the target machine instead of the ip address, but you may have to fix it in resolve.conf if it wont respond to name pings..

ps
[code]Can anyone tell me why its insisting on labelling all my code with "code"??? [/code]
have a nice day,
-n00bie[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:11 am 
check your IP addresses on both machines:
On Linux, use:
Code:
ifconfig

On Windows:
Code:
ipconfig

Say the ip addresses are: 192.168.2.10 and 192.168.2.12. Check they can ping eachother. From the .10 machine:
Code:
ping 192.168.2.12

Let us know what that results in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:59 am 

Hi Blaggers,
I as well am having some Samba issues after an initial Blag install. I am watching this thread with iron eyes, since it is exactly the application I want to use Blag for. A shared LAN server with Windz and Apples living in harmony.

So far this thread has been the most helpful sorting out this smb stuff. Im a linux newcomer as well, and came to UNIX via Irix SGI graphics workstations (Flame/Inferno from Discreet) In the past I was just the designer, but as the economies go global I need more unix fluency than I got away with before.

For now, getting a simple Samba file server working nicely in our studio, where Apples and Windoz can trust the little grey box in the closet will make a huge difference in my life.

I chose Blag first because it was recommended by a sound designer to me (who uses PCLinux (PCLOS) mostly) and my needs are very simple so far.

It may come to pass that I may want Blag to do FTP for the studio as well.

Thank you all. Im watching this thread closely. Please be verbose, folks!

PS I dont have smb working just yet, but following this thread closely. The afp-get stuff was very cool! Thanks again. All the best to the Blag dist! I have the Fedora FC4 but havnt bothered with anything but Blag yet. I think I may be correct!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:17 am 
After the default installation, I have active ping from the windoz box (192.168.whatever) but I still see no share folders on Linux or in Windz.

I suspect I need to modify the smb.conf file. Is this true? Which lines are critical?

/etc/samba/smb.conf

This file is still at default. Which commented line must be set?

Ideally, I would like the Blag box to share a large partition with various apples and oranges(PCs), so to speak. An ftp option between IRIX and Linux would be nice too. But Im just studying on a home LAN at this point before I move the prototype to the office.

FWIW, I almost bought Linux in a Nutshell today, but there was a nice Fedora FC4 book there too so I'm depending on others here.

Ultimately, my killer Linux app is to have this Blag box work as a LAN server sharing a large partition with various OS's. IRIX, Apple, and Gates. Verbose instruction is great, but links to making it work are just as good.

Thanks.
NY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:21 am 

Sorry the guest above is me again... NY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:28 am 
Site Admin

Ya, i've done linux/unix/win/mac fileserver before. It's possible. The windows part is the biggest pain. You can do NFS between linux/irix too, if you want. Netatalk will do the Mac part.

Search these forums for "samba" as configuring windows shares has come up a number of times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:04 am 

Thanks for your reply jebba,
I have read almost everything 'Samba" search returns in this forum. This thread had the apt-gets which made somethings work a little more. I can now ping the windz box and do a successful ifconfig call (before, ifconfig hung the terminal). I even have a shared folder on the Blag desktop but it doesnt connect to the system it points to. Perhaps its a bit early for a newcomer like me to work with a more hardcore fedora dist like Blag.

Maybe I'll wipe this box and put FC4 on it and see if its a bit more facile for this application. Im sure a knowledgable user wouldnt have my issues with it. I have some time, so perhaps FC4 core in the morning. Maybe I should buy that Linux in a nutshell book afterall. It didnt have much on Samba problems, though...

Any pointers on which smb.conf lines should be un commented? That's probably my problem, im guessing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:53 am 
Site Admin

I haven't configured samba in a long time, so I don't really recall... Someone 'round here surely does though. ;)

Fedora Core 4 should be roughly the same deal though. Not to discourage you from using it, but just as a head's up that you'll likely find yourself in the same spot.

Surely someone here can dump their smb.conf into the wiki? plz?

http://wiki.blagblagblag.org ...

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:53 am 

I've been a hardcore fan of swat as an easy way to configure Samba. If you haven't already installed it, you can check out this thread: http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=1651

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:39 am 

I'm installing suse now.

My Blag is gone, but actually I will come back if suse 10.0 dont work for me. I just need to get samba working. I have a real use for this os (linux) for basic. Blag is so effient. It looks like Suse 10.0 will be heavy for my p3 setup.

I would love smb to work. It's why linux will be cool. Especially when we set up our FTP webserver. I'll have to pay a guy to do that,of course. But I need to be up to date.

So, Centrino, why not post your ascii to the thread. Your smb.conf

My issue is doing a DHCP cable router to my LAN. IPs are not static on hardware systems. My LAN switch is the DHCP. I think this is confusing my smb setup (samba.)

Thanks folks.

NYart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:50 am 

Here's my config, if you really want it. It works nicely with my windows systems. I am also able to use samba on a number of networks at home, school, and various other places, all of which use DHCP. I seriously doubt that's your problem. I find it a lot faster to get samba on speaking terms with windows if you have the security mode on SHARE. But that's if you want a really quick start. If you're looking for a real custom setup I suggest you play with the configuration.

Code:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.112 (192.168.0.112)
# Date: 2006/03/08 00:37:36

# Global parameters
[global]
   workgroup = 1129HALL
   server string = Samba Server
   security = SHARE
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   announce version = 5.2
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   dns proxy = No
   ldap ssl = no
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   cups options = raw

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   read only = No
   browseable = No

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = Yes
   browseable = No

[html]
   comment = Apache document root.
   path = /var/www/html
   read only = No
   guest ok = Yes
   browseable = No

Oh, and... I believe out of the box you also have to add users to Samba and enable them separately... just in case you didn't know already-- no one said anything about it, better safe to have mentioned that than sorry to have not.