BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:30 pm 

Every time I get a new distribution (which has happened several times within a year) I have a lot to do to change it the way I want it. So here are a few suggestions which I think would be usefull to BLAG users (not just me).

First of all I would like to see more plugins for mozilla. For example JRE and FLASH plugins. Those are usually the first things I install (Well I install SDK).

Second of all I'd like to see a partitioning program with a nice GUI. Maybe it's just me but I often change my partitions after installation.

Also there are a few other programs that I'd like to be included in BLAG: K3B, xcdroast, frozen-bubble and downloader for x.

No offence... You have done an amazing job. I were especially pleaced that you included bluefish editor and a few p2p programs in it. I like BLAG way more than Fedora or Mandrake. These are merely suggestions.

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:08 pm 

What BLAG should really do is realese the one cd,and one suppletmental cd with KDE and other stuff they can't fit into one cd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

i'd like to keep 1 CD. Right now, I don't see the need for a supplemental CD. If you want KDE, etc., download it using apt. :) But yes I like D4X (Downloader For X) and K3b would be handy.
FYI: J2E and Flash etc. can't be included because of their license.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:41 am 
Site Admin

matti wrote:
First of all I would like to see more plugins for mozilla. For example JRE and FLASH plugins.

Flash isn't Free Software so I can't include it. I do include it in the repository list in case people want to sin and download it. Same story with JRE, more or less. It's also huge.

matti wrote:
Second of all I'd like to see a partitioning program with a nice GUI. Maybe it's just me but I often change my partitions after installation.

qtparted is the only thing I can think of that'll do it. Do you know of any others? I think qtparted needs something that isn't in BLAG as I recall trying to package it before (perhaps it needs KDE despite being a "qt" app). I'm open to suggestions here.

matti wrote:
Also there are a few other programs that I'd like to be included in BLAG: K3B, xcdroast, frozen-bubble and downloader for x.

K3B can't be included because it needs KDE goo. xcdroast could be included--I find it quite old skool though. Frozen Bubble is over 7 megs. You'd have to suggest something to be removed too. ;) d4x has been in past versions IIRC. It weighs a bit over a meg and could probably make it.

I made a 10001-alpha the other day--it was 699 megs... Anything that is added has to replace something else.

What should go to give us space?

Here's a few things added to 10001 that aren't in 10000:
blogtk
dclib
dcgui-qt
firefox
gaim-meanwhile
gtkpod
inkscape
libdvdnav
meanwhile
nicotine
psi
psi-languagepack
tftp
xmms-xosd
xosd

blogtk doesn't work very well yet. Firefox...we got a lot of browsers, but I really like it. Inkscape is added--sodipodi could be removed.

Here's additions to 20k:
blogtk
bwm
camE
cryptopp
dclib
dcgui-qt
firefox
firestarter
fluxbox
fluxconf
giblib
gift
gift-fasttrack
gift-gnutella
gift-openft
giftoxic
gsm
gstreamer-ffmpeg
gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio
gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd
gstreamer-plugins-extra-video
ices
inkscape
ipcalc
libdvdnav
libmusicbrainz
libshout
libsigc++
libxfce4mcs
libxfce4util
libxfcegui4
liferea
lve
madman
nautilus-gstreamer
perl-GD
perl-SVG
perl-SVG-GD
php-mbstring
pport
pyparted
rhythmbox
swfdec
xfce-mcs-manager
xfce-mcs-plugins
xmms-musepack

I'm not really for an "extras" CD. We have the repository for that and if someone wants a really fat install they can go for the DVD.

Thanks for the suggestions, :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:36 am 
Site Admin

dclib
dcgui-qt

are both quite large and could go out...and most people who use DirectConnect network are heavy downloaders, so downloading them from the repo wouldn't be too much trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:55 am 

jebba wrote:
qtparted is the only thing I can think of that'll do it. Do you know of any others?

partgui
http://part-gui.sourceforge.net/

jebba wrote:
You'd have to suggest something to be removed too. ;)

How about samba. Not many people that I'm aware of use it. And the ones that uses it could download it from the repositories.

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:40 am 
Site Admin

part-gui looks pretty immature. That's a bit dangerous when it comes to partitioning. ;) You used it much?

If I took out samba, well, I know there's a few people still condemned to use it. I'd happily yank it though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:39 am 

I've used it quite a lot with mandrake 10.0 and Fedora core 1. Worked just fine.
I'd only want it to be included cause I got accustomed to it.

I agree that BLAG should stay on one CD only. I wouldn't have even considered BLAG if there would have been more (because of my slow internet connection).

Matti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Ok. part-gui bugzilla'd so i don't forget:

http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:55 pm 
Wait a minute. Macromedia flash isn't free for Linux? You can download it from www.macromedia.com You can also download java from java.com for linux so how is this steeling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
Wait a minute. Macromedia flash isn't free for Linux? You can download it from www.macromedia.com You can also download java from java.com for linux so how is this steeling?

You can get it from them, but you can redistribute it. If that's what you were referring to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:32 am 
Ok, I am confused. So Macromedia flash and Java are free if you download them from that site only. So you cannot redistribute them correct? Wow this licensing stuff is weird. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:13 am 
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
Ok, I am confused. So Macromedia flash and Java are free if you download them from that site only. So you cannot redistribute them correct? Wow this licensing stuff is weird. LOL

That's exactly what the rules are. And with Flash you don't get the source code. There is source code available for some java stuff. Sun is rumoured to be Free Softwaring java--we'll see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:26 am 
Site Admin

Whatever happens we have to keep BLAG as one CD regardless of whatever we take out of it as it makes distribution so easy and is a massive bonus over other distros.

I think the idea before of stripping internet based apps can be applied. GAIM or Xchat cannot be used without the internet. So we can assume anyone who wants them has the net and access to the repositories. We could ditch Firefox too. Sure it is a great browser and I use it too but again I have access to the net and a few minutes downloading won't kill me.

Synaptic makes it so easy for users to go through a catalogue of available applications. So we can remove things knowing even if people forget the apt commands they can still find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:40 am 
Site Admin

yes we could kill of samba. no problem there. i use it and i don't mind downloading it. i wouldn't mind if you killed some of the not-so-much-used net apps too, as its not that hard to apt-get them

I too would like blag to stay on 1 CD, as from there its just gonna get bigger and bigger and eventually it will become a massive headache.

Well there's my 2 cents.