FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Failure booting install CD from Atapi CDRom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Failure booting install CD from Atapi CDRom Reply with quote

Hello, I'm having difficulties getting blag (9002/10000) running on an older machine of my mom's. I know it's not a problem with the .iso files, md5 was absolute. I know it's not a problem with the burning, cause the 10000 CD I'm trying to use is what I used to install it on my own computer, and the 9002 boots up just fine on other computers. I also know that I've got the bios set to read the CD first, because I changed it myself and it's found other linux distros.

But I want dear old mum to have blag. Where could this problem be coming from? It's it related to RH's installer thing? I also tried to get RedHat 9 going and it booted to the installer, but got hung up after video card detection. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

jebba
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of for why it can't boot from CDROM is that maybe the drive can only handle 650 meg images and it's 700. Just a guess. It seems if you're on enough lists though that the problem appears across the board--I wish I had a solution.

Well, there actually is a solution for blag10k since you can make a floppy. Pop a floppy in the drive, mount up the cd, go to the "images" directory and run:

Code:
dd if=bootdisk.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

FWIW, I've seen it with and without the "bs=1440k" (blocksize).

Then you can boot from floppy and see if it then will then see the CD. If not, net install ;)

(or even more drastically, you can remove the hard drive, install on another box, then pop the drive back in ma's computer).

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP