FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Dell Dimension 2400 and sound problems.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graham
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Dell Dimension 2400 and sound problems. Reply with quote

Every Linux distribution I have tried since getting my Dell box will not play sound using a CD with KSCD and other CD players but will play sound from the same CD when using Xine and video players..

Slackware needed a bit of fiddling to get sound but Blagg-10000 installed, detected the sound chip and played system sounds without any further configuration but still none from the CD. Blagg plays streamtuner stuff and so on. I have tried changing permissions in /dev but without result.

I know the easy answer is to buy sound board but there must be some way of getting audio using the CD player. Any ideas?

The Sound biti is a 82801 AC97 Audio Controller, Intel i810 driver, identifier i845.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the little cable running from the back of your CDROM to the soundcard? There' should be 3 connections to your CDROM: ide ribbon, power, and the sound cable.

When you play a CD using something like KSCD the music is played directly from the CD to the soundcard (e.g passes being played via the CPU).

-Jeff

graham
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jebba

Thanks for the reply. I will check that later this morning.

I had assumed it was present because a CD which will not play with KSCD will play normally with Xine video player. They also played in Wiindows in the half hour it remained on my box when it arrived ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba

You are absolutely right the audio lead is mising. Thank you problem solved.

graham
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops I wasn't signed in :-((

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP