BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:58 am 
Hello Everybody

I have successfully installed BLAG10K on my Home computer, but only using 800x600 screen resolution I tried changing it to 1024x768 through the screen resolution program when I rebooted all I get is a Black screen. How do I access my config file again? I tried booting knoppix but it seems to have no permission to change the Xconfig (I can't remember the exact name of the config file, I'm at work at the moment and I don't have Net access when at home)

All help I appreciated

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:02 am 
Site Admin

To set up the display, run:

Code:
redhat-config-xfree86

(note in 20k this is system-config-display).

The configuration files are in /etc/X11. The main one in blag10k is XF86Config (it's xorg.conf in 20k).

To get a console, you can hold down: ctl-alt-f1 (or f2, f3, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:10 am 
Ok I did what you told me. Now I can change the resolution in the display settings, but when I use the ScreenResolutionPreferences all it gives me is 640x480 resolution and no other choice. I can't even get back to 800x600

I'm using an Intel 845 video card and IBM 6331 E54 monitor. (autodetected)

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:15 am 
Site Admin

OK. So when you run `redhat-config-xfree86` while running Xwindows (in the GUI) there is a "Hardware" tab. Select that. Then you can pick your exact video card and exact monitor then you should have more resolution choices. You /may/ have to tell it how much video ram you have as well.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:12 am 
Yes I understand, I put Autodetected in my comment bescause Blag already detected my correct hardware, and it already shows me the complete resolutions in the SystemSettings->Display dialog box, but when I go to Preferences->ScreenResolution the only entry for the Resolution dropbox is 640x480. I deleted my XF86Config file for it to autogenerate but the problem persist.

Note: when I go to the console and press alt+F8 all I get is a black screen, when I press alt+F7 I return to the GUI is there something wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:18 pm 
Why not just select a generic monitor at 800X600. This is what I had to do. Also you could try the same thing for the 1024x768 resolution

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

jbarry wrote:
Note: when I go to the console and press alt+F8 all I get is a black screen, when I press alt+F7 I return to the GUI is there something wrong?

That is normal behaviour. There's nothing on alt-F8 by default, F7 is Xwindows and the first 6 are consoles.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:01 am 
Still no luck, I wonder what is the problem. I successfully Installed on a Laptop (IBM E600 - with a sound problem that I have yet to consult here) and a PIII desktop with no problems.

What really bothers me is that at the Display Settings dialog box I can choose the resolution I want, yet when I go the the ResolutionPreference (I setting that get used I think) dialog box it won't show the other resolutions just the 640x800.

I even tried using a VESA driver but still no luck.

Maybe I'll try swapping monitors...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:56 am 
Site Admin

did you try chris' suggestion of "generic monitor 1024x768" or "generic monitor 800x600" or whatever rez you want?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:06 am 
jebba wrote:
did you try chris' suggestion of "generic monitor 1024x768" or "generic monitor 800x600" or whatever rez you want?

Yes I did that but no luck :( . Swapping monitors don't help either. Maybe its the video card. I tried VESA driver but it won't display just black screen (back to square one). I wonder if there are compatible drivers for my card. XF86Config files says

Driver "i810"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "Intel 845"

Many thanks

Barry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, that video card should be working fine, especially in VESA mode since everything can do that. EVERYTHING is vesa compatible, at least in peecee land. Soooo, sounds a bit like a dodgy video card. Hmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:03 am 
Very doggy yes... but its working fine in WinXP (I dual boot)..... Maybe I'll have to reinstall (a very windowsworldprocess - you know if you can't fix it reinstall it :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

You have:
Driver "i810"

Have you changed this to:
Driver "vesa"

and then go into the monitors section and choose "800x600"?

You should not have to re-install. I don't think this will help. If your card is working under the dual-boot, its probably not the card itself. But /everything/ should be able to do vesa mode...

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:41 am 
I tried it, but still black screen. I'm really getting irritated with this. it is so annoying surfing the web in 640x480. and sometimes i can't see the ok button of dialog boxes that @Q#$@%!#$%#!%.

Anyway i gues this is just one of those times where in you just can't do noth'n else but give up.

Ok so this computer will be dedicated to XP. toooooo bad.

Thanks anyways

jbarry