BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:55 pm 

my BLAG-9002 install crashes on inserting a USB interface device for an IDE hard drive. No messages information or further interaction possible, total system lock.

It must be the hotplugging thats the problem, cos after reboot, dmesg will pick up the device(s) and said USB connected hard drive can be mounted from /dev/sda.

So the questions is, which process is responsible for USB hotplugging, and how do I force it to detect new devices without destabilising the whole system? What other experience do people have with hotplugging USB devices on 9002?

PS:
It also takes a reboot to use a USB memory stick (also comes under /dev/sda), although it wil not crash the system like the HD device. Also no dmesg info about the insertion event comes up until reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm. I've used around 3-4 different USB keys and they would come up on hotplug and either be available under /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1. I haven't used a USB drive. Perhaps you can try enabling/disabling USB 2.0. ehci-hcd is the USB 2 module (IIRC), usb-ohci is one of the USB 1 modules.

There is a hotplug RPM, and /etc/hotplug and /etc/hotplug.d

man hotplug