BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: soundcard problem
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:28 am 
The soundcard is an Aztec AZT2320, PnP but ISA connector. It was working before under W98. I installed Blag10000 (default desktop option)- the card appeared to be detected and configured, there were no error messages, but there's no sound.

The speaker symbol bottom right on the toolbar has a line through it. If I right click and open volume control I get a message that it's not working. The detail says invalid mixer device, /dev/mixer can't be opened. /dev/mixer exisits as a zero size file, I've tried changing permissions and also running as root, but no difference.

Similarly, if I try to use XMMS, I get a message that audio couldn't be opened. Somewhere in fiddling about, I've had a message that /dev/audio can't be opened - like /dev/mixer, it exists as a zero size file.

Any suggestions please? Go easy on me, I'm newish to Linux (very new to Blag) and I'm very much a user rather than a programmer.

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Try either of these commands as root:

Code:
redhat-config-soundcard
sndconfig

(note in blag20k it's system-config-soundcard)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:14 am 
[quote="jebba"]Try either of these commands as root:

redhat-config-soundcard

returns 'no soundcard detected'

sndconfig

This detects 'AZT2320 PnP Sound Device:Audio'
It offers some address and IRQ settings to match DIP switches on the card - there aren't any switches.... I accepted the offered settings (0x530/IRQ5/DMA1-1/DMA2-0) and it then went to play a test sound, returning the message 'error opening /dev/audio'.

I tried the other address setting, but everything hangs when it goes to the test sound. I got the IRQ as 5 from the screen during boot.

Is there anything else to try?

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Hmm....

You could try the alsa sound drivers...

Code:
/usr/sbin/alsaconf

ALSA=Advanced Linux Sound Architecture

Its the next generation of Linux sound drivers and are the default in kernel 2.6 (e.g blag20k & fedora core 2).

Note, alsa sets its channels to mute by default. You can change levels with (also in the menu):

Code:
gnome-alsamixer

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:17 am 
[quote="jebba"]Hmm....

You could try the alsa sound drivers...

Code:
/usr/sbin/alsaconf

ALSA=Advanced Linux Sound Architecture

Its the next generation of Linux sound drivers and are the default in kernel 2.6 (e.g blag20k & fedora core 2).
----
alsaconf appears not to be installed. I couldn't find an option to install the alsa suite under the 'system settings/install apps' menu. I started to read the alsa project pages but quickly got out of my depth.

Note, alsa sets its channels to mute by default. You can change levels with (also in the menu):

Code:
gnome-alsamixer

----
I tried to install the gnome-alsamixer using the 'install apps' menu, but it just comes up with 'there was an error' popup, whether I do is as a user or root.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:59 am 
Further info, just noticed when shutting down:

A Gnome pop-up comes up saying mixer-applett2 crashed with a segmentation error.

Later, in text mode, there's a modprobe error - sound service-0-0 not found, followed a line starting aumix: with an error (sorry. missed what it was in detail, and I don't have time to re-run before going out).

Does any of that help?

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:59 pm 
Swapped the Aztech card for a cheapo PCI one from my Suse box, all ok now. Suse seems happy with the Aztech too.

Steve