BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SCSI adaptor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:11 pm 
I'm getting to know Blag on a computer gifted to me. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-6BXDS. On board it has Adaptec AIC-7895 SCSI controller hooked up to a tiny hard disk (which I don't want to use).

I disabled the SCSI adaptor in BIOS before installing Blag, but it was still found duriing install and everything stopped at the point where the driver was loaded. I enabled it to get the install done, but now I'd like to be rid of it as introduces huge delays into booting. If it's disabled in BIOS, the BLAG boot goes into a seemingly endless round of 'unexpected response' at the point where the SCSI driver is loaded. Is there any way to force the SCSI stuff to get skipped/ignored at boot?

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

I would think if it was removed in the BIOS, then at boot kudzu would report it as removed.

But if it doesn't, you can comment it out in /etc/modules.conf (/etc/modprobe.conf in 20k). It may be named something like aic7xxx.

Hope that helps,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:22 pm 
Yes, it is aic7xxx. Removing the line from hwconf hasn't made any difference. Kudzu still finds the adapter even when it's disabled in BIOS. I found the man page for Kudzu so I checked by renaming hwconf and running Kudzu manually (output to screen) and it lists the SCSI adapter.

Is there any other route?

Thanks

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Not from hwconf, but from modules.conf. Did you try that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:24 pm 
Sorry! typo on my part - should have said modules.conf
I've been doing more playing - deleting hwconf to force Kudzu to run on booting, the aic7xxx driver loading and delay (and the point where it loops if the SCSI disk is unplugged) happens way before Kudzo starts.

As best I can jot it down as things pass, the lines just before the driver load are
RH nash 3.5.14
something about scsi_mod.o module
Loading aic7xxx.o
etc.

Using 'whereis' as root, I can't find either of these modules, so I'm wondering if they are embedded in a more fundamental part of the boot, and not able to be switched off?

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:27 pm 

Did a little research on that particular boards sometimes you can disable what you don,t use with the jumpers not a very good one to go by.... http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Sup ... l_List.htm Yours listed here..http://tw.giga-byte.com/Download/Downlo ... bxds_e.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:33 am 
Thanks. Unfortunately, it confirms what I thought from peering at the board, no jumpers, just BIOS setting control.

It's not the end of the world if I have to live with it. Might do me good to learn how to use the SCSI drive, although I'd still be glad of suggestions of how to disable it.

Cheers,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Well, you can compile your own custom kernel without SCSI... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:13 am 
That sounds like a steep learning curve! I got there in the end, here's the detail in case it's helpful to anyone else down the line.

The basic problem is that the hardware detection finds the SCSI adaptor even if it's disabled in BIOS. If it is disabled, then everything hangs at detection. On installation there are two lots of detection - one is at the very beginning where driver modules are loaded. Usually this is only a network card driver, but if there's a SCSI adaptor that gets included too. Consequently, if the adaptor is disabled the installation hangs, and if it's active, the SCSI driver gets installed there. The hwconf and modules.conf files seem to work with Kudzu on the second hardware detect, when the boot process has progressed into the graphics phase, and don't affect the drivers loaded in the first detection.

My fix - active the SCSI adaptor and use the 'noprobe' option on install, manually loading the network card driver. In due course Kudzu finds the SCSI adaptor on the 'new hardware' search. Edit modules.conf to remove the SCSI adaptor line, delete hwconf and run Kudzu manually. When it finds the SCSI adaptor, hit the 'ignore' option, then reboot and disable the SCSI adaptor in BIOS.

Phew!

Steve