FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Website Revamp

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebba
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Website Revamp Reply with quote

Ok, so if we're going to revamp the website, what should we do?

Right now it's just simple flat text .html files with a couple .shtml #includes (e.g. blasterisk fone numbers). I really like it this way, but...

Do we need anything dynamic? I'm not sure what a joomla, plone, etc. type website would bring to the table except upgrade headaches. Or we could rewrite it in ruby on rails, just to be hip. ;)

Or should we remove all graphics and optimize for lynx?

What we missing? Just a fresher look? Certain features?

Feel free to brainstorm any old idea you feel like...

Oh, and i never really use it, but i'm starting to get a jabber/jingle urge so we can tie it into blasterisk and start doing nifty stuff. somehow. ;)

Incoherently yours,

-Jeff

P.S. Banksy rocks.

noldrin
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easier to find link to the wiki and a link to the FTP server instead of just the .iso file. Besides that it's spiffy
stevo32
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it make it valid html! That's about it.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Website Revamp Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
What we missing? Just a fresher look? Certain features?

Fresher looks mostly... I would go for a change of backgrounds... Maybe you don't need to do a whole lot of "real" change... I feel that a frsher look will go a long way. Try a different background, and maybe redo the main-page...

jebba
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the old Onion ( http://www.theonion.com/ ) story "New logo changes everything". "New background changes everything." ;) But it certainly would, in one easy step, change the feel!

Start putting your FREELY REDISTRIBUTABLE backgrounds up for us to pick. :)

-Jeff

Jason
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from Plone. It is great but totally unnecessary. We could go dynamic but do we really need it? If someone knocks something up in GIMP/Photoshop/whatever, I could put together some valid code quite readily. I got a week off from Thursday so I am up for anything.
Caraibes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Start putting your FREELY REDISTRIBUTABLE backgrounds up for us to pick. :)

-How about making things easy ?

-Why not use any other wallpapers that the distro has ???

Like Nola-Bridge.jpg, or the one with the plane ?

It is about having something a bit different, maybe you can get away with a smaller face-lift ???

weyasey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noldrin wrote
Quote:
An easier to find link to the wiki and a link to the FTP server instead of just the .iso file.

Those links and fresh new background would be nice, don't think you need the hassle with rewrite in Ruby on Rails or even worst Plone.
We are in the second half of this decade now and it's time we moved on with the look of the site...IMHO something that matches where we are now ie Blag 50002 light, fast and fresh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but ruby on rails looks so tasty! And the foxes. Everyone loves foxes!

But plone? Ah! If i hear it mentioned again i'll puke.

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP