BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:19 am 

Hey i just downloaded the latest beta of blag and i like what i see. it is, in fact, a beta and there are without a doubt bugs and just 1 that seems to be glaring to me during the first hour of usage... while installing the nvidia 3d graphics drivers, it encountered the error of being unable to find the kernel source. im not sure if there would be a license issue, but would it be possible to incorporate the 3d drivers with the distribution? and then just a minor suggestion that would just be a conveniance, but i've noticed that wine when set up from an rpm isnt as efficient as wine would be when its set up with the core files installed and configured during the initial install of the OS. but after trying over 10 distributions in the past 6 months, i can definitely see myself keeping blag linux on my system. looking forward to the final 10000 release! I would just like to say thank you and also congradulations to you for spending the time and effort for making a great operating system and keeping the world of free software alive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Graduisic wrote:
Hey i just downloaded the latest beta of blag and i like what i see.

Cool. Thanks.

Graduisic wrote:
it is, in fact, a beta and there are without a doubt bugs and just 1 that seems to be glaring to me during the first hour of usage... while installing the nvidia 3d graphics drivers, it encountered the error of being unable to find the kernel source. im not sure if there would be a license issue, but would it be possible to incorporate the 3d drivers with the distribution?

Well, I haven't looked into the nvidia driver's license, but in general I don't want to include binary stuff. This is about Free Software, after all. There are some exceptions to this "rule", but they are basically when Free Speech trumps (e.g. being able to listen/watch to common formats). Folks with nvidia cards can use blag without the binary drivers by just doing SVGA mode. This isn't as accellerated as the binary drivers, but it works.

As for kernel-source, this isn't on the CD due to space and the CD being for "non-developers". You can easily get the source though:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install kernel-source

Actually, that's how most apt-get's work, but I think for kernel-source you need some voodoo like:
Code:
apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.20#30.9

since it wants the version number as well. You may want compilers and all that goo too:

Code:
apt-get install gcc gcc-c++ glibc-devel glibc-kernheaders

Graduisic wrote:
also is mp3 support incloded in this or is there a license conflict with redhat/fedora?

mp3 support is included. Before I was doing my own compile of xmms, but now (10000) I'm using from Freshrpms. Freshrpms only supplies plugins to xmms, so it still has that annoying warning. I may do a custom compile of xmms as well, but in general I want to use the public repositories.

Graduisic wrote:
and then just a minor suggestion that would just be a conveniance, but i've noticed that wine when set up from an rpm isnt as efficient as wine would be when its set up with the core files installed and configured during the initial install of the OS.

Hmm. Not sure about this as I don't wine. Where are you getting wine RPMs from? Also, it doesn't quite click for me why an rpm would be less efficient when installed post-install. I mean, anaconda (fedora installer) just installs the RPM as well.

Graduisic wrote:
but after trying over 10 distributions in the past 6 months, i can definitely see myself keeping blag linux on my system. looking forward to the final 10000 release! I would just like to say thank you and also congradulations to you for spending the time and effort for making a great operating system and keeping the world of free software alive.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're digging it.

Later,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:54 am 
i kind of figured that's how the kernel-source would be able to get. thanks for the specifics. as for the wine installation, i download the RPM's from http://www.winehq.org directly through sourceforge. i find that when emulation software is set up and configured before the post-install that the hassles of file-associations, read-write issues, and driver detection problems are rectified, although including it in the distribution would promote definitely not-free (strike one) Window$ sofware (strike two) and im 100% behind keeping free software free and behind your internet strike against software patenting. im from the US but i'd hate to see that happen anywhere. BLAG is in Linux for all the right reasons and i also appreciate your thorogh response which i wouldnt get from the mainstream distributions. needless to say, im spreading the word :D as are my friends and friends of friends, etc. and am reccommending BLAG in large forums. thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:55 am 

that was me by the way (forgot to log in) my bad :p