BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Let's Push Back!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:19 am 

In what seems like ages ago, RMS wrote:

Quote:
Flash is a place where we importantly need to push back.

How about writing a simple application that helps people send complaints to the webmaster of a site which has Flash on it? If it can do something to scan the site for an email address to send to, that would be useful. It could have heuristics to find pages for contacting or responding to the site.

I'd be willing to do this - by hand. But if someone were to assemble a team and develop this web application to send predetermined messages based on input from forms and such, we could make a lot of noise.

I could do some marketing on the subject. Anybody interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:55 am 

personally, I think what needs to happen is for comparable open source programs to be out there, even if they are not compatible with flash, they should be feature compatible. Then we can push web developers to switch from writing in flash to this. Incidently this is the direction Gnash seems to be going. I think only then would pushing back makes sense. I think most web people won't want to significantly switch down in features in order to make a small percentage of free software people happy. It's unfortunate, but free software needs to market more than just freedom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:31 am 
Site Admin

gnash has had a lot of effort put into it all year, from what I can tell by the lists and such. Hopefully they'll have a nice solid application here someday.

The one prob it has is that it doesn't do video yet (youtube-like stuff). Oh, and the fact that I've never actually been able to see /any/ flash with it yet. Perhaps that's actually a feature...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 am 

I got gnash to do a couple of little things, but nothing indicating it was ready for prime time as of yet. Seeing as the flash video is a pretty basic video stream, it should be eventually doable for the gnash team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:08 am 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
I got gnash to do a couple of little things, but nothing indicating it was ready for prime time as of yet. Seeing as the flash video is a pretty basic video stream, it should be eventually doable for the gnash team.

And i'm pretty sure that mplayer can take care of it at the moment...

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:09 pm 

stevo32 wrote:

You need to run it through ffmpeg first. Usuaully something like this:

ffmpeg -i yourfile.flv -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320x240 yourfile.mpg

And you can capture the flv file using one of the available pages for doing that. There is also a close sourced plugin for firefo. An open source one would be a nice thing to see. Unfortunately it tends to be a cat and mouse game with the various video pages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
stevo32 wrote:

You need to run it through ffmpeg first. Usuaully something like this:

ffmpeg -i yourfile.flv -ab 56 -ar 22050 -b 500 -s 320x240 yourfile.mpg

And you can capture the flv file using one of the available pages for doing that. There is also a close sourced plugin for firefo. An open source one would be a nice thing to see. Unfortunately it tends to be a cat and mouse game with the various video pages.

mplayer has had it since 1.0pre7. From the Changelog, in the demuxers category:
Quote:
* SWF and FLV support via libavformat

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:56 pm 

wow, I stand corrected. I guess I didn't think to check this again since flv fliles don't show up by default when opening a new file.