BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:46 pm 

I've got a few questions here based on my recent experience trying to get streaming audio played. My basic goal is to figure out if there an optimal combination of things that should be installed for stream playing through firefox. If people help me out, I'll be happy to post something about it in the wiki.

I don't know much of what I'm talking about here, but from what I gather, it looks like mozplugger and mplayerplug-in are supposed to do the same thing--allow the browser to play streaming video, and that normally you use one or the other. Mozplugger is in the repository, and with jebba's help I was able to use it to play quicktime streams. But I couldn't get it to play .rm (or .ram) streams. I was able to get those streams (and quicktime and other streams) running with mplayerplug-in plus a bunch of codecs, which I explain here.

It looks like the latest release for mplayerplug-in is 2006-Aug-28, but the latest release for mozplayer is August 30 2005. Is that reason to believe that mozplugger has fallen a little behind mplayerplug-in?

In the forum archives, I see that NicePics13 has suggested mplayerplug-in to a couple of different people with positive results. Should blag switch to mplayerplug-in, or at least include it in the repos? Are there some other issues which make mozplugger a better choice for blag?

Looking through the repos, there's also mozilla-totem-xine, which I never installed (and I didn't have totem-xine installed, either), and totem-mozplugin, which I did have installed (and which I am guessing is linked to gstreamer?). Looking and the descriptions, it looks like those do similar things as well. Does anyone have any wisdom to share about those as well?

Finally, are either legal or freedom issues related to this or that combination of plugins or codecs that might affect what player people might want to use, or might affect what can be put in the repo?

Thanks much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

I think there's a variety of ways to do it, but if we can find that ideal combination, I'll make it default. It likely varies from site to site. I believe all of the above are free software with the exception of w32codecs. Lots of times people think they need w32codecs and it's actually handled with a free software alternative as well.

Anyway, if people say what works for them, perhaps we can get a consensus on the best combo then make it default. :)

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:55 am 

In my experiences, the best solution is the mplayerplug-in duality function.

+1 vote for mplayerplug-in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:23 am 
Site Admin

I must say I've never actually gotten mozplugger to work yet mplayerplug-in works every time...

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:05 pm 

mplayerplug-in is a very nice piece of software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Well, i've removed mozplugger & added mplayerplug-in to the 50003 CD. But would it be best if I just left /both/ of them there? Mozplugger covers lots of stuff besides just video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:55 am 

jebba wrote:
Well, i've removed mozplugger & added mplayerplug-in to the 50003 CD. But would it be best if I just left /both/ of them there? Mozplugger covers lots of stuff besides just video.

50003? Would I be correct in assuming that we might see this before 60000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

extraspecialbitter wrote:
jebba wrote:

50003? Would I be correct in assuming that we might see this before 60000?

Yes.

jebba: Yes, and it never works in practise, except for the pdf stuff and I'm not sure what handles that, but I prefer to view pdfs locally rather than in a web browser.

Thanks,
Stephen Clement