BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:45 am 

I have a humble suggestion for non-inclusion on the CD--the wacky fonts. I mean the fonts like alcohole, anarchy, big fish ensemble, big log, birdland Areoplane, cheap pizza, chemical gus, chewed straw, commerciality, creature, crud, dear teacher-normal, good dog, graffiti treat, kiloton, lemonheads, loony, psycho poetry, puppetFace, purple burple, radioactive, ransom, scissor cuts, scrawllege, two turtledoves, valium, xenowort, and a few others (including some I don't know how to represent with letters).

These are good fonts, and I very much appreciate the artwork (and the names). But I wonder how many people use them regularly. It could be that I am just a fuddy duddy, and I am projecting my lack of imagination on the rest of the blag community. But if space is a consideration and not many people use them often, then maybe the wacky fonts could just be put in the repos for people who want them.

(It's probably likely that these fonts are so small that they wouldn't free up an appreciable amount of space anyway. But, if it does make a difference, there's my opinion).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
It's probably likely that these fonts are so small that they wouldn't free up an appreciable amount of space anyway.

Code:
[stevo32@localhost ~]$ du -sh /usr/share/fonts/blag/TrueType
4.0M    /usr/share/fonts/blag/TrueType
[stevo32@localhost ~]$

Bingo!

Thanks,
Stephen Clement

P.S. Note that's uncompressed! The rpm compresses down things...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Ya, the RPM package is 1.4M so it's not huge. I'm not totally against yanking them /except/ that those fonts have been in blag /forever/. Like since 8k series or something. It's a very old package... So yanking them may suddenly break people's layouts if they have actually used 'em for something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:23 am 

Jebba, just curious--under what conditions could taking out those fonts break someone's layout? If people who have used those fonts do a blag upgrade, won't all of their fonts, regardless of where they got them, be preserved?

If someone is not doing an upgrade but doing a full clean install, and then they try to open a document that uses fonts that aren't on the new CD, the word processor should either substitute some other font or display the characters as blank boxes, right? And then if the person needs the original fonts, they could just download them from the repo, right? So what's the danger of breaking a layout?

Thanks for putting out 50003, by the way! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin

In fact this is a pretty old bugzilla entry...

http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/show_bug.cgi?id=148

Wouldn't it perhaps be nice to add many more free fonts? What should the final set be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:20 am 

a couple things just really help make BLAG what it is. wacky fonts is one of them. Free software should have personality. The only distros I've ever seen with personality is Slackware, BLAG and EvilE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 am 

I don't mean to deblagify blag, I was really just thinking about space. As far as I understand, 59k is still a little too big to put on a CD, so I was thinking that if certain non-essential things were moved from the CD to the repos, it might make it easier for jebba and gang to fit everything that's necessary.

Probably like most people, there are a few things that blag comes with that I never use, so I just thought I'd throw them out there for consideration to see if other people use them. If not many other people use a certain thing, then it might make the decision on how to shave things down a little easier. I don't know if anyone else has ideas for things that could be left off the CD.

I don't really have any strong feelings about what fonts should be included other than the standard ones. I don't use many different fonts normally. Lots of the fonts at fontfreak.com are very cool, but I would probably either wouldn't end up using them or only use them on special occasions, and I wouldn't mind downloading them individually for that.

As far as maintaining the character of blag, I guess the 100% freeness and the radical political stuff are what make the difference for me.

Maybe if some people want to have a freaky font that could express the character of blagness, maybe one of the fontfreak.com fonts could be used for the blag logo. That might be cool. The current logo just uses courier I think. Of course, there are about a zillion fonts to go through on that site, and everyone would probably have different favorites. Maybe jebba or one of the other developers could just bite the bullet and pick one, or maybe someone could pick a few and put up a poll to see which people like best.