BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Status of BLAG10000
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

BLAG10000 is the next major release of BLAG. It is based on Fedora Core 1.

I have installed alpha versions of 10000 and it is generally working fine.

One of the biggest issues I'm dealing with is trying to get everything on one CD. Space has grown really really tight....

Packages to be removed from 10000
==============================
This isn't the full list, but just of the more "visible" packages. If there is something on this list that is a must-have, let me know. In general packages removed from the CD will still be available in the BLAG repository. The really big remove, for me at least, is yanking galeon in favour of epiphany. These are currently removed:
avifile
balsa
blender
cinepaint
dasher
freej
galeon <---
gnucash
gnuchess
icewm
mrproject
licq
live
vls
xpdf

Added Packages from FC1
======================
dvd+rw-tools
gpdf
nano
prelink
redhat-logviewer
tftp-server
yum

Added Custom Packages
=====================
epiphany
gstreamer-player
gstreamer-plugins-extras
mjpegtools

Repositories
==========
Repositories are archives of software. BLAG is working to interoperate with the following 5 repositories (and others):

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/
http://yarrow.freshrpms.net/
http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc1/
http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat/en ... S.newrpms/
http://dries.studentenweb.org/apt/packages/

When there is a package in BLAG that is in one of these repositories, BLAG will include the repository one, not a custom built one. This is to maximize compatibility with the repositories. These 5 repositories are also working on interoperability with one another. There is a list of who is authoritative for a number of packages:
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/mega-merge.php

What is left to do
==============
TESTING!
Cramming xfce in there somewhere...
Getting all graphics all pretty
Getting upgrades from 9000 to 10000 smooth, when packages are removed.

If you have requests for 10000, speak soon! :)

I'll upload a beta of 10000 later this week for testers to check out.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:10 am 
I would have to say that xpf is a very helpful program. However, if users can download any of the missing packages using synaptic then I wouldn't worry about fitting them on the cd. I am can't wait to try out the new release of blag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if its me or not but vncserver would be a nice addition to the repositories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

It's already there, in the extras repository:

apt-get update
apt-get install vnc-server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome. It was my bad. I was searching for vncserver just like the command vncserver. Duh!

Post subject: Removal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:10 pm 

IMHO xine is better performing than gmplayer, and currently we have both. Perhaos xine cant play everything? (gmplayer is entitled "Movie Player" in the default bllagblagbkag menu)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

I kinda prefer mplayer to xine, but lots of time I use one or the other. videolan-client I don't find too useful so it's coming out.

In gnome 2.4 there is also totem, which uses gstreamer. Gstreamer is the underlying audio/video sub-system for Gnome. It has been coming along nicely. Perhaps by 20000, xine/mplayer won't be needed and it will be gstreamer-based applications. For 10000 I'm including some re-builds of gstreamer from Freshrpms which has more things enabled than the Fedora version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:58 am 
Site Admin

I must say for all audio/video mplayer is simply the best. I have yet to find any file it cannot play.

Post subject: Blag Linux 10000 test
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:22 pm 
Hi, I tried out the test version of the new blag today and I found two bugs. The first is that when I select to install everything in the multimedia, windows file system, and system tools the installation will lock up and reboot in the middle of it. However if I install blag with just the default applications then everything installs without a hitch. The other problem is that this version does not set the correct resolution for my monitor. I selected my monitor which is an Acer 7156s during install but after installation and rebooting my screen goes all crazy like it set the rez wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:38 am 
throw away gstreamer. it never worked for me.
keep mplayer and xine, mplayer plays everytheing and xine is *very* comfortable.

and my feature request:

is it possible to use a framebuffe console by default? this would be fine for using blag on old machines, that dont have enough power to run x.

and, since i am an indymedia activist, you should add a client for radio streaming.

kinly regards
yetzt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:26 am 
Site Admin

yetzt wrote:
throw away gstreamer. it never worked for me.
keep mplayer and xine, mplayer plays everytheing and xine is *very* comfortable.

I hear you about gstreamer, but it is getting far far better, and lots of gnome applications (notably nautilus) will be using it. Basically, gstreamer is (becoming) the core media component of gnome, so it ain't going away unless gnome goes...

yetzt wrote:
is it possible to use a framebuffe console by default? this would be fine for using blag on old machines, that dont have enough power to run x.

Do you mean so you can run things like w3m? I think setting this as the default may create more problems than it would solve. Also, using the framebuffer can cause the console to run a lot slower when used on faster machines (at least this is my impression from using it on yellow dog). Or do you just mean as a default for your box--not a blag default for all installations. IIRC, this would have to be set in the kernel.

yetzt wrote:
and, since i am an indymedia activist, you should add a client for radio streaming.

Not sure what you mean here. A client for radio streaming? You can use xmms (GUI) or mpg123 (command line) to play radio streams--they are both blag defaults. Also, for "tuning" into stations there is streamtuner.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

jebba wrote:
I hear you about gstreamer, but it is getting far far better, and lots of gnome applications (notably nautilus) will be using it. Basically, gstreamer is (becoming) the core media component of gnome, so it ain't going away unless gnome goes...

GNOME absolutely must stay. There is nothing to replace it with. Despite what anyone may say a GUI is priceless at them tired times when you got the mouse ball and don't feel like typing. KDE is behind in my opinion as an over GUI. It looks ok if you like the whole Windows/Mac look but GNOME is just better for me.

jebba wrote:
Do you mean so you can run things like w3m? I think setting this as the default may create more problems than it would solve. Also, using the framebuffer can cause the console to run a lot slower when used on faster machines (at least this is my impression from using it on yellow dog). Or do you just mean as a default for your box--not a blag default for all installations. IIRC, this would have to be set in the kernel.

I was going to mention something once I had fun breaking a few more kernels. Would it be possible to create extra kernels in the repository with each one doing a specific thing? I have had people break their machines recompiling the kernels and while fixing them is never that difficult it would be handy to just have a ready made kernel.

We could have one with NTFS write support or one with the prism wireless driver already in it. I understand putting them on the CD would take up valuble space hence why the respository might be a good place for them. They wouldn't have to be too specific because generic ones would be fine. I know people ought to just build their own kernel but not everyone can do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:31 am 
Site Admin

I've added a 10000 repository and an updated iso to the ftp site (rev .00060).

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:44 am 
Site Admin

If you are running a beta of 10000 I recommend frequently dist-upgrading
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

There are updates daily.

Also, if you add a new user, you can see what the default panel icons/desktop/etc are going to be.

The only major thing that is busted right now is firstboot. For the complete list, see:
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org

If you do any of the tests of different types of install, comments in bugzilla would be nice. :)

-Jeff

Post subject: this distro rocks
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:01 pm 

10000 will be the stuff. between the repositories theres over 5000 rpm programs to choos from . this distro will fit ok on one cd . just put the basic up n run and then whatever anyone needs can be down loaded from the repositories . please keep the cd foot print to less than 700 mb .
i am glad blag didnt jump to the kernel 2.6 . it needs a lot of work yet .