BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:14 am 
Site Admin

pfe1223 wrote:
This is not so much of a request, but what will happen with Mono? I know that it is now officially a part of Gnome, and 2.16 ships with Tomboy and a few others (I think). Has Blag taken a official stance on those programs developed by Novell (Mono, Evolution, etc.)?

Well, you can use gnome without tomboy. It's just one of the zillion of gnome applications, not part of it's base or anything. I also seriously seriously doubt that gnome will /ever/ depend on mono.

How about this for an "official stance": I loathe Mono and will never include it on the CD. It'll be in the repo though (with that other nastiness called java). Evolution sucks too, but it's in the repo. ;)

pfe1223 wrote:
I'd also like to ask for Epiphany as the defalut browser.

Ok. Just convince everyone else. ;)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 pm 

Quote:
not part of it's base or anything

According to this link, gtk#/mono is now a part of Gnome. It states:
Quote:
New modules may be accepted into the desktop or admin releases with
a dependency on gtk#/mono, but any modules accepted into either of
those release sets without a dependency on gtk#/mono may not gain
one without going through the proposal process again in a subsequent
release.

Anyways, I don't care for Mono apps, and just wanted to know what to expect with 60K. Of course, this means more work for you in tearing out Mono. Oh, and one more request, gnome-blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:43 pm 

I personally feel that kernel-devel, make, gcc and friends should be included on the cd since there are some people who need to compile their own drivers. This is especially a problem when the drivers are for wireless cards. In my particular case it is the madwifi driver, which I believe is officially viewed as an opensource driver, but I think it has some component (for FCC compliance) which is not opensource. (Apparently there is work going on to remedy this situation.) In the case that this cannot happen can we have a meta-package of some sort that will allow for one to download all build related packages? (Unless of course there is one that I am unaware of) sorta like "build-essentials". or some sort of a driver thread to be opened where drivers and their dependencies can be posted so that a user can download them along before installing blag so they aren't left w/o an Internet connection.

(btw do I need to download the new iso and reinstall or will something like apt-get dist-upgrade work?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

ihavenoname wrote:
I personally feel that kernel-devel, make, gcc and friends should be included on the cd since there are some people who need to compile their own drivers.

To add the ability to compile kernel /modules/ (but not a new kernel itself) would require:

4.6M kernel-devel (i586)
4.7M kernel-devel (i686)
4.8M gcc
2.0M glibc-devel
602k glibc-headers
466k make
63k libgomp

So you're talking 17 megs to just compile modules themselves. A vanilla kernel source is like 40 megs...

I hear ya though. I really hope drivers get pushed upstream for more wifi cards...

ihavenoname wrote:
In the case that this cannot happen can we have a meta-package of some sort that will allow for one to download all build related packages?

Code:
apt-get install kernel-devel gcc make

ihavenoname wrote:
(btw do I need to download the new iso and reinstall or will something like apt-get dist-upgrade work?)

For upgrades to 60k, CD is recommended, but I'd be interested to hear apt-get dist-upgraders' experiences.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:25 pm 

stevo32 wrote
Quote:
@weyasey, if you're going to be talking about obscure apps, please post links to them.

Sorry for not posting links to the "obscure apps" I was talking about, google was how I found them.
I future I will endevour to include links to any apps (obscure or otherwise) that I request adding to CD/repo ;) rutilt can be found here http://cbbk.free.fr/bonrom/

Rutilt is a app for configuring wifi interface plus scan and give information about available wireless networks in a graphical format, just thought it would be good for noobs to have some extra help with wifi networks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:32 pm 

jebba wrote:

I hear ya though. I really hope drivers get pushed upstream for more wifi cards...

By upstream you mean fedora right? (just curious).

jebba wrote:
ihavenoname wrote:

For upgrades to 60k, CD is recommended, but I'd be interested to hear apt-get dist-upgraders' experiences.

-Jeff

hmm, I think I will install 50k, then use createrepo and the rpms on the 60k cd to upgrade once just to test it. Only if I have time though... (I'll report back if I do get around to it, though I suspect it should go fine since the problem is usually with 3rd party packages.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

ihavenoname wrote:
jebba wrote:

By upstream you mean fedora right? (just curious).

Actually I mean the vanilla Linus kernel. Fedora doesn't add drivers to their kernel. They try to patch "as little as possible".

-Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:22 am 

mplayer/mencoder is one of my top 5 used applications. To me it is core. On the other hand I never use xine as it interferes with my video card. Also, mplayer is needed to for the mplayerplug-in which is also very important on a daily basis. Removing it just adds even more tech support to getting a newbie up on BLAG.

Gnumeric is also very important. A spreadsheet is a core app people expect, and Gnumeric does it better than any open or closed sourced app. Many times I click on links on the web and Gnumeric is there to save the day. If it's not included, new people will apt-get openoffice and never give this great app a try. It's also sad to see scribbus go, not as much as Gnumeric.

Also it looks like a lot of DVD software is leaving.. will there be anything left?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:36 am 

Hey include Democracy TV, jebba suggested it, and I think it's pretty noice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
Also it looks like a lot of DVD software is leaving.. will there be anything left?

This list was a list to build back up from--not everything yanked will be gone. I guess I was just trying to re-fresh and see what was really used. I kind of though gnumeric was something lots of people "expect" but few actually use. ;)

I personally use mplayer all the time too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:59 pm 

With the new upgrade, will it remove all of our old files? Is a backup recommended, or will it just upgrade the main programs in the OS?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22 pm 

jebba wrote:
noldrin wrote:
I kind of though gnumeric was something lots of people "expect" but few actually use. ;)

I mostly use it on already existing excel files. I tend not to create many spreadsheets outside of work. But with opening and running excel files, it is very valuable. I can open files in it, that open office can't and sometiems excel on mac users can't. I will concede that perhaps not the majority use it. I would keep it high on the list of things to put back in if something better to put in doesn't come along. Another consideration is that removing it will increase the preasure to include open office, which I think would be a bad move for blag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:44 pm 

Is 59k going to be released before 60k or is 60k sooo good that it blows away any possibility of 59k?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:03 am 
Site Admin

59k = alpha versions of 60k

60k = 60000 which is the first stable release based on FC6.

See:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Roadmap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:45 am 

jebba wrote:

D'oh