23%  [ 4 ]
No
76%
 76%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 17

bohu
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: the System76 question...

Well, the first thing I did was format the hard drive and install Blag :-) No Ubuntu for me.

System76 says they test everything in their boxes to make sure that it all works with default Ubuntu BUT... I suspect that Ubuntu has a proprietary driver for the VIA graphics chip cuz Blag and Slackware both install fbvesa which doesn't work well at all. So I popped in an old nVidia card I had laying around and run it with the free nv driver. Works much better than fbvesa and freed up 64 MB of ram.

Also, I have discovered that most linux distros will not install and I don't know why. Maybe it's the 64 bit processor, or the VIA graphics chip, or the SATA interface, or maybe the cheap Walmart LCD monitor I bought. Sabayon, Forsight, Blag 60000, PCLinuxOS and Vector all crashed during the install. Most other distros simply won't boot at all. Blag 50003 runs like a dream on this box::-)

Now, if only I could find out how to enable the livna repo I'd be thouroughly happy.

mullenbrock
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dylan wrote:
Just because a box comes pre-loaded with Ubuntu does not mean it is not 100% supportive of free software.

However, the chances do dwindle, if that's what "Get out the torches and pitchforks!", means.

I was being sarcastic, making reference to the deal with the FSF using Debian on their machines.

dylan
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, making reference to the deal with the FSF using Debian on their machines.

I suppose that's funny after I am informed of the punch line, but in the beginning I did not see the correlation.

Caraibes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got 2 Blag boxes equipped with Via Samuel C3 processor... They use i586...
If this kernel won't be included, well, no big deal, those boxes will remain with 50k... (then some Slackware, or derivative, maybe...)

ewl
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dylan wrote:
[
Are the System76 machines supported 100% by Free Software?

I think some are and some aren't. Some of them have nVidia graphics cards and system 76 provides you with the binary proprietary drivers for them. But some use standard intel video cards. You can check out the specs at their web page: system76.com.

Page 2 of 2

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP