FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
WE NEED GCC!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: WE NEED GCC!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi,
I think its absolutely imperative to have gcc on blag as standard, many programs have to be compiled, and without it, blag is almost useless.

stevo32
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yeah, that'd be appreciated
2. Yes it can function without GCC, although not very well (alot of my programs are compiled from source by me)
3. It's sorta large, so if you want it i guess you could just apt-get it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euh, sorry but...
WHAT IS GCC ?
I know, bla bla bla, I begin under Linux, bla bla bla, but I wan't to know, wan't to discover ^^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess if it meant blag had to come on 2 discs-so be it, because gcc it one of the most core apps for linux-without it, your box is pretty much useless. For that poster above, all GCC is , is a C programming language compiler.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most people won't use gcc and those who will are smart enough to use apt-get to acquire gcc. Once you include compilers for C/C++, you practically have to add back all the dev tools for other languages and in the end it would overflow into a second CD. That is something we definitely do not want under any circumstances.
jebba
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install gcc

There. GCC :)

GCC= GNU C Compiler -- it turns source code into binaries that the computer runs

The 1 CD blag is meant for non-developers. There is a Developers DVD available. This has all blag, all fedora, all source code, and other weird extra bits I've thrown in (including scripts to build your own distro--someone made a Chinese version of blag 9k doing this). See the developers page on the main site.

-Jeff

john maclean
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a newbie. I find gcc really easy to install by apt-get. There are loads of other compilers and developer stuff that you can install just as easily. For instance, I like to use irssi, an irc client. It needs automake, autoheader-14 and some other stuff. Got them alll from apt-get.

Code:
apt-cache dump > apt_cache_dumpt.txt

whenever I want to find out what stuff could be in the repositary....
Code:
egrep (name of package) apt_cache_dumpt.txt

but that could just as easily be found with synaptic's `find> name and description`

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP