BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:09 am 

I see that Fedora has just put out a single CD live version of the i386 version of FC6. Is there any possibility of bringing the "liveness" component into blag60k? Though it's not something that any of us are likely to use every day, it might help spread the Good News--I think that people might be more likely to take a look if you give them a live CD.

The fedora announcement is here.

I don't know how much room the liveness components would take up, but I think it's worth consideration if there's room. I think it might even be worth removing one or more little-used apps in order to make room, because liveness is one thing that's not apt-gettable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:24 am 
Site Admin

I have done a live version in the past. It was ok and the live aspect of it didn't take up too much extra space so most things could fit. It was much slower, of course, since it ran from CD. For BLAG, the only reason would be to show someone what it's like or to see how hardware compatibility would be. For it to be a /good/ live CD, lots of effort would need to be put into thinking within that paradigm. I'd suggest dynebolic for a /real/ live CD, if that's what you want.

In sum, i've done it in the past, it's not /too/ hard to do (and probably far easier now since more tools have been written), but i just don't see all the upside for the effort. If someone else wants to take the blag tree and do it...that'd be cool. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:31 am 

when i tried out Linux Mint, it had a live cd, and it wa pretty cool. Gave me an idea about the feel of the OS and a heads up on hardware support. The really nice thing was to run gparted and get my partitions all ready for install, although i ended up intalling BLAG on that machine anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:18 pm 

Actually, I wasn't thinking about a "permanently live" CD like dynebolic, but something like what you and noldrin mention--having live capacity just for trying blag out fairly briefly, and then allowing you to install from there. Noldrin's idea of having gparted included with it would be good, too--that's the combo that made things easy enough for me to do my first linux install. Ubuntu and lots of other distros do this now, and I was thinking that having this capacity might be able to help spread the word about linux in general and blag in particular.

Hmmm...blag tree...sounds intimidating. I'll take a look...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

I picked qtparted over gparted for reasons now lost in my memory, but it was some deps that gparted needed that qtparted didn't need that I preferred the latter.

http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/show_bug.cgi?id=800

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:57 pm 

with either program, generally the thing is you want to run it before install, not after. Is there some way to get that functionality in the install otherwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:04 am 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
with either program, generally the thing is you want to run it before install, not after. Is there some way to get that functionality in the install otherwise?

Oh, I would love this to be in the installer and it certainly could be. It is a bit beyond my reach to implement it though. I've seen it on wishlists...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:20 pm 

jebba wrote:
noldrin wrote:

Oh, I would love this to be in the installer and it certainly could be. It is a bit beyond my reach to implement it though. I've seen it on wishlists...

Yeah, that's the _one_ thing that *buntu has going on that I think is missing from Blag. Overall, I think that anaconda is a much nicer installer than ubiquity (the Ubuntu live installer), but ubiquity's integration with gparted is really handy.

[off topic]
This has probably been discussed before, but have you guys ever thought about changing Blag's "parent" distro to Ubuntu, or better yet, gNewSense? I realize that it'd be a LOT of work to make the switch, but there would be a couple of benefits that make it an interesting idea:

- You'd get the live-ness of the CD, allowing new users to try it out without installing first.
- You'd get the free-ness of gNewSense as a base to start from.
- The repository would be easier to maintain, in that you could just use the gNewSense repos for almost everything. The Blag repo would just contain all of the stuff that gives Blag it's Blag-iness (artwork and other Blag-specific packages).
- You'd not have to deal with RPMs at all anymore. :) Although, building deb packages isn't much more fun, I guess.

Other than the architectural changes, they're both Gnome-based, so you would end up with an almost identical user experience with the same software installed.

Just thinking out loud... I should probably start a new thread if anyone wants to talk about this.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

iron_chef wrote:
[off topic]
This has probably been discussed before, but have you guys ever thought about changing Blag's "parent" distro to Ubuntu, or better yet, gNewSense?

Well, originally the decision was between RedHat and Debian. At that point, RedHat had /far/ more going for it on the desktop and everyone wanted a graphical installer.

I personally like being based on Fedora even more than RedHat. It certainly keeps me on my toes. It has a very fast release cycle and is probably the most aggressive distro out there in terms of getting new tech into the distro fast.

iron_chef wrote:
I realize that it'd be a LOT of work to make the switch,

OMFG... Upgrades would be impossible, for one.

iron_chef wrote:
but there would be a couple of benefits that make it an interesting idea:

- You'd get the live-ness of the CD, allowing new users to try it out without installing first.

Well, we /can/ do a live CD, we just have to do it. I've even heard mention of fedora being able to install from live CD too--this is just them brainstorming, but the idea interests upstream already.

iron_chef wrote:
- You'd get the free-ness of gNewSense as a base to start from.

Fedora is actually pretty damn free. I think gnewsense is starting to remove some bits from the kernel itself (e.g. disables e1000 driver or something). But other than that, nowadays Fedora is pretty much FSF-"Free" by my reckoning.

iron_chef wrote:
- The repository would be easier to maintain, in that you could just use the gNewSense repos for almost everything. The Blag repo would just contain all of the stuff that gives Blag it's Blag-iness (artwork and other Blag-specific packages).

Well, basically why have blag at all? It would pretty much just be a theme!

iron_chef wrote:
- You'd not have to deal with RPMs at all anymore. :) Although, building deb packages isn't much more fun, I guess.

I don't mind RPM and I certainly know more about building them than .debs.

iron_chef wrote:
Other than the architectural changes, they're both Gnome-based, so you would end up with an almost identical user experience with the same software installed.

Just thinking out loud... I should probably start a new thread if anyone wants to talk about this.

Ya, no worries. But it ain't gonna happen. ;)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:39 pm 

jebba wrote:
Well, basically why have blag at all? It would pretty much just be a theme!

That's a good point. When you put it that way, it doesn't make much sense, does it? Heheh. My fingers were moving faster than my brain.
You're right, though. Blag certainly is much more that just "Fedora + little square icons".

Thanks for the feedback, though. I hadn't thought about the impossiblity of upgrading either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:14 am 

I don't think yet another Unbuntu distro would be that interesting compared to what we have now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:04 pm 

iron_chef wrote:
This has probably been discussed before, but have you guys ever thought about changing Blag's "parent" distro to Ubuntu, or better yet, gNewSense? I realize that it'd be a LOT of work to make the switch, but there would be a couple of benefits that make it an interesting idea:

I HATE Ubiquity. And I'm not much impressed by live CD installs. I have installed gNewSense on my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop. First of all, there are almost no installation utilities or live cds that get the Dell laptop monitor configuration right, which leaves me with a 640x480 resolution and makes it impossible to get the entire Ubiquity window in the screen. So I had to edit xorg.conf to include the horizontal sync and vertical refresh numbers. Plus it used so much in terms of system resources that the only way I was able to get the installation to work was to lower the color resolution to 8 bits. Anaconda is much better and much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:25 pm 

Well, Fedora is hard at work at creating live, installable cd's (kadischi). I figure when they get around to it, so will Blag. Another point of interest is Punji. With this tool, you can custom build your own image. I was at FUDCon Boston and there was a brief discussion about it. By the time Fedora 7 hits the servers, about all you will be able to do with Punji is selection software. However, future releases of Punji should be able to allow you to select things such as desktop background and startup services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, I may start basing the blag spin on pungi, but i haven't gotten around to it as the current setup "works".

I think they are going to use pungi to do live cds too. I believe kadischi has kind of been abandoned.