BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Admin

EDIT: The most recent beta is now listed here:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?p=19017

ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/lin ... .50000.iso

BLAG is a 100% Free Software distribution with all the tools you want from a desktop computer, plus more. It comes on a single CD, is easily installed, and user friendly. Power users have the resources of a repository that combines bits from Fedora Core, Fedora Extras, Freshrpms, Dries, ATrpms, livna, and our own special brews.

BLAG 60000 is a new series with a new base (FC6) and many new applications. Since September 3rd, 2006, over 50 alpha versions of BLAG-60000 have been spun. Today, this first day of 2007, we have our first beta. The current stable release is BLAG-50003 (the third upgrade to BLAG-50000).

Featuring all of the applications below on JUST ONE CD. Burn copies and hand them out! It's got it all. Did I mention it's all on just one CD?

* kernel - Yes! One of those. 2.6.18-1.2869. Note BLAG 60k is compatible with i686 (~Pentium II or greater) processors.

* Democracy Player - Very cool Internet TV program. Download high-quality shows straight to your hard drive. Don't settle for little windows in a web browser! :) http://www.getdemocracy.com/

* inkscape - enabled with inkboard so you can collaboratively work on drawings via jabber!

* Audio players - "listen", is a cool app that integrates playlists, album covers automatically, lyrics, wikipedia lookups, group playlists, everything. The minimal rock-solid xmms is there as always.

* mplayer & xine - Two top-notch video players, plus mencoder to re-encode audio and video

* Video editor - That's right, edit video--it's on the CD. Kino for basic usage or cinelerra for serious movie production. Then edit DVD menus with qdvdauthor.

* DVD Ripping - Well, that's what it does. Thoggen! So easy to use, straight to theora format. For CDs, there's the venerable grip.

* audacity - Edit soundfiles with a lean, easy to use, but powerful sound editor.

* Gaim - Handles jabber, AOL, MSN, IRC, ICQ, Yahoo, and other Instant messaging networks--all in one program. Includes encryption and "off the record" plugins for privacy.

* Firefox - The famous web browser, of course

* Thunderbird - Nice email client

* streamtuner - Tune into streaming radio stations on the 'net! Plus with streamripper, you can record 'em.

* MuSE - Or instead of just listening, broadcast your own station with MuSE and icecast!

* yum / apt - Both yum and apt are available with pirut and synaptic GUIs. Download from our repo of 7,000 /free/ packages.

* Gnome - User friendly yet powerful, Gnome is the main desktop that BLAG is built upon. Fluxbox is on the CD too....

* games - A few of those even....

* 3D Modeling World famous blender is on the CD should you decide to make the next great computer graphics movie!

* GIMP - Edit photos & images, put Bush's head on anything you want, have at it...

* Font Editor - Create fonts! Edit existing fonts.

* Peer-to-peer - Bittorrent and a gnutella client, sitting right there on the CD waitin' for you.

* Blogs - Get blog or any other RSS feeds with liferea, gpodder for audio blogs, and gnome-blog for uploading your own blog posts.

* gnome-translate - Conveniently translate text or websites.

* kiax - Make free phone calls around the world to landlines, mobile phones, and VoIP phones with this one-of-a-kind service from the BLAG project BLASTERISK.

* Document Layout - scribus for anything from pamphlets to long books!

* Office slock - abiword a lightweight word processor, gnumeric lightweight yet powerful spread sheet, and glabels does its job so well.

* GCC - Since 2002, BLAG has not had a compiler on the CD--compilers have been available on the DVDs or in the repo. With BLAG 60k, gcc, plus a few basic bits are available immediately should you need to compile a new kernel, modules, or whatever.

* Server bits - apache for webserving, vsftp ftp server, and postfix for SMTP. Openssh's server is included, along with a dhcpd server and xinetd.

* So freakin' much - And even more in the online repository. Thousands of more applications are available with a few clicks. No cost, yo.

Yes, all this is on one CD! 687 megs of Free Software.

Download here:
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/lin ... .50000.iso

Our website:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/

Our forum:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/

Our wiki/documentation:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/

Bugzilla, for reporting issues:
http://bugzilla.blagblagblag.org/

Roadmap:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Roadmap

Chat:
irc.indymedia.org #blag

PONG!

January 1st, 2007

Last edited by jebba on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Bittorrent here:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/torrents/BL ... so.torrent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:52 pm 

Nice one Jeff! Interesting new stuff like Democracy and the new-fangled Inkscape on the CD, AND gcc as well - brilliant work.
Downloading now...

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:08 pm 

Great!

The best distribution out there with a new beta-release! yam! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Torrenting! I'll leave bt running for as long as I can :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:04 am 

john maclean wrote:
Torrenting! I'll leave bt running for as long as I can :)

Yeah that's a good idea. I'll download the torrent with my server and leave it up on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:19 am 

I've just installed 59K(60K beta) :)

Unfortunately, I've encounted two issues during the installation
1. When I clicked the menu item "BLAG extras" on 8th screen of installation (repo selection), an exception error occured. It drove me to do whether I had to debug it or reboot.
So, I had to skip this at the 2nd trial
Error messages pointed that the problem was sort of network configuration of installation script(python).
my choice of network configuration : disable DHCP and IPv6, then put a static IP, gateway and DNS servers

2. After having completed installation, I added some bits of an input method as usual in 50K (scim and Korean font)
However, I can't see Korean charactor other than just oddish rectangles
It's interesting.. It worked for me perfectly in 50K

I'm sorry to say that I have to revert to 50K at this time ;-(

Post subject: md5sum
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:28 am 

jebba wrote:
J

Dloaded this and also running the torrent for a few days but the md5sum I get istwager@1[Desktop]$ md5sum BLAG-59999.50000.iso
7bd206d013db61cb96445c4c4081ebfc BLAG-59999.50000.iso yet the SHA
1SUM is

f01de77b65364b605fc455725ae0276516abdbdc BLAG-59999.50000.iso

What am I doing wrong ??

Using BLAG Linux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:40 am 

md5sum is different from sha1sum

Quote:
$ md5sum BLAG-59999.50000.iso
7bd206d013db61cb96445c4c4081ebfc BLAG-59999.50000.iso

Please use sha1sum instead of md5sum
Quote:
$ sha1sum BLAG-59999.50000.iso

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 am 

tohdol wrote:
md5sum is different from sha1sum

Quote:
$ md5sum BLAG-59999.50000.iso
7bd206d013db61cb96445c4c4081ebfc BLAG-59999.50000.iso

Please use sha1sum instead of md5sum
Quote:
$ sha1sum BLAG-59999.50000.iso
[/quote

Thanks...

Using BLAG Linux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:07 pm 

I have been out of the loop for a while. What sort of package management has BLAG gone with? Are you still using apt-get, or have you moved to yum as Fedora has.

Thanks

apteryx.

Registered Linux User - #384913

Get Registered at: http://counter.li.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:07 pm 

both apt and yum. And if you want the gui's synaptic and pirut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:33 am 

Im not much into beta=/ Just because the fact its "beta" If something goes wrong...your pretty much screwed so Im going to play it safe and wait for the final release to come out. hehe...Also If we have 50003 version once this "beta version" Is released is it possible to upgrade without loseing any of your files/packages?

Post subject: Do not work too hard!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:16 pm 

I personally believe that a release schedule of one time per year is adequate for any distribution. Do not burn yourself out in your efforts to create the best distribution around. Even BLAG 3000 is still an excellent distribution based on contemporary standards.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

puppy wrote:
I personally believe that a release schedule of one time per year is adequate for any distribution. Do not burn yourself out in your efforts to create the best distribution around. Even BLAG 3000 is still an excellent distribution based on contemporary standards.

Well, the "rollup" releases aren't that much harder, and often have quite a few fixes. Plus who wants to download a CD just to later have to download a couple hundred megs of updates? By putting out new ISOs we save people those headaches. :)

-Jeff