BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:34 am 

This is really really really quick development.

Is it healthy? What's in store for Fedora 7 that could be directed towards Blag?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:16 am 

gnome-terminal-launcher is a handy applet that works fine in BLAG and is GPL

http://gnome-tla.sourceforge.net/wiki/i ... /Main_Page
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=170654

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:24 am 

Well, Fedora 7 just got pushed back a month so Jebba should have some time to recover. Most of the changes are "under the hood". In another post I mentioned Punji which will allow users to custom build their own iso's. This is a really exciting feature. There is the merge of Core and Extras, so I guess if somebody was up to it, a KDE spin could be made. The Fedora team is working on their packaging standards to ensure better QA. Also, the kernel in Fedora 7 should be 2.6.21, which is tickless. In a nutshell, a tickless kernel will reduce the energy consumption which is a plus for the environment, your enegry bill (especially if you have some servers and have to cool this room), and will increase battery life of laptops.

Here is a link to some video torrents taken from FUDCon Boston. There was a talk specifically about Fedora 7, though it is not on the list. I am guessing the "state of the union" torrent may provide some interest.

http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

Here is a list of 28 improvements that Fedora would like to see for Fedora 7:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-d ... 00091.html

PS - the new icon theme is pretty cool, though Jebba uses his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:27 am 

Hey Jebba,

If you feel like getting hopped up on methamphetamines, you could build a "Blag Enterprise Edition", which would just be CentOS 5 with a Blag touch. I know it would be a buch of work, but it is just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:12 am 
Site Admin

Ya, an enterprise edition...that's plenty crowded already. ;)

I've been kicking around this:
http://www.openmoko.org

I put up some very early/rough qemu images:
ftp://ftp.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/dev ... /openmoko/

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:02 pm 

pfe1223 wrote:
Hey Jebba,

If you feel like getting hopped up on methamphetamines, you could build a "Blag Enterprise Edition", which would just be CentOS 5 with a Blag touch. I know it would be a buch of work, but it is just a thought.

Right now RH enterprise is based on FC3. By the time the new one based on FC6 comes out, BLAG will probably be on FC7. *If* jebba wanted more work, I think making a KDE-BLAG would be more productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:50 pm 

Quote:
Right now RH enterprise is based on FC3. By the time the new one based on FC6 comes out, BLAG will probably be on FC7. *If* jebba wanted more work, I think making a KDE-BLAG would be more productive.

Well, RHEL 5 is scheduled to come out on 28 Feb, and Fedora 7 has been pushed back to April sometime. The benefits of basing a version of Blag on CentOS would be that people would not be forced to upgrade to the latest software (this is great if you value stability or have older hardware). This enterprise edition would be supported for at least five years (I belive updates are given for five years, and security fixes are provided for eight). If Jebba would create a Blag on CentOS, he would not have the frenetic work of creating a new OS every six months.

As for a KDE spin, Fedora will officially create a KDE version, which means they will be doing most of the work. Also, Punji will allow us to create our perfect version of Blag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 pm 

pfe1223 wrote:
If Jebba would create a Blag on CentOS, he would not have the frenetic work of creating a new OS every six months.

He still would probably be doing Fedora version I imagine. I'd hate to see us still on RHEL 3. Generally BLAG has been a yearly thing, but those darn Fedora people have had their act together and have made good distros with worthwhile upgrades.

Although I do find the idea of an enterprise version of an anti-corporate OS to be rather amusing. The question is would a BLAG version of Cent be different enough to warrant it existing as compared to users just sticking with BLAG30K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:35 pm 

Quote:
Although I do find the idea of an enterprise version of an anti-corporate OS to be rather amusing. The question is would a BLAG version of Cent be different enough to warrant it existing as compared to users just sticking with BLAG30K.

The use of CentOS is not so much for the corporate environment, but for those who don't want to be forced to upgrade so that they can continue to get security updates. I like what Jebba does to a distribution. There are lots of applications for multimedia, it is approved by the FSF, there is no Evolution (have you ever tried to delete it from a default FC or Debian, it says that Gnome must be deleted as well), no mono, support for devices like an iPod, etc. These are things that are generally lacking on a corporate distribution. Like Jebba said, there are pleny of corporate distributions. However, there are not many user-oriented distributions with long-term support. Putting the Blag touch on CentOS would certainly fill this void.

Fedora Legacy is dead, which means no more updates for Blag 30K. Of course, I am speaking about the upcoming CentOS so FC3 is pretty irrelevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

pfe1223 wrote:
Fedora Legacy is dead, which means no more updates for Blag 30K. Of course, I am speaking about the upcoming CentOS so FC3 is pretty irrelevant.

Since CentOS is based on RHEL and the current release of that was FC3-based...I wonder how RHEL/CentOS updates would play with BLAG 30k... Just speculating, but the kernel and stuff should be fine. Has CentOS kept up well with all that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:51 pm 

Quote:
Has CentOS kept up well with all that?

I assume you mean updates. If so, then yes. CentOS is up to 4.4, which is the current branch of RHEL. I was looking at some documentation, and if you want to add MP3 codecs, you can add the DAG repository.

Post subject: Re: 70k: Requests here!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:07 pm 

I have some ideas, but as a noob to BLAG and to these forums, I'm going to stick to fairly tiny things for the time being.

It might be a thought to include firestarter, if only because anyone setting up a system as the gateway for a network will need that.

A script to ease installation of Java & make it work with Firefox would be cool, too, if facilitating installation of proprietary software doesn't make you feel too dirty.

I'd also put in a plug for libsafe. It's not as comprehensive stack protection as many of the alternatives out there, but (unlike many) it has almost no overhead, and (unlike some others, i.e. PAX or the Openwall patches) is extremely easy to implement and use. And it's only a few hundred KB. Not compatible with libc5-linked binaries, but I seriously doubt that users will encounter those anymore.

In short, it will probably make BLAG systems more secure, and doesn't seem like it could do any harm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

scott wrote:
I have some ideas, but as a noob to BLAG and to these forums, I'm going to stick to fairly tiny things for the time being.

Feel free to suggest anything you want. ;) But keep in mind if it's stuff like "include flash" or anything like "include some non-free software" it's gonna fall on deaf ears. Brainstorm all you want though. :)

-Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 am 

jebba wrote:
scott wrote:

Feel free to suggest anything you want. ;) But keep in mind if it's stuff like "include flash" or anything like "include some non-free software" it's gonna fall on deaf ears. Brainstorm all you want though. :)

-Jeff

Naah, I may be a BLAG noob, but I'm not unclear on the concept. I've been playing around with applying the grsecurity patches to a vanilla 2.6.19.2 kernel, and my most grandiose fantasies revolve more around a PAX-enhanced kernel with support for a simple, low-overhead mandatory access control system, like AppArmor. Things like that... no real downside other than the development work required. And no commercial software.

If hardening BLAG (in transparent, low cpu/disk space/memory ways) appeals to folks, I might be able to help out with a little development work. I'm doing a lot of that stuff as tweaks to my own system anyway, so...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:56 am 
Site Admin

scott wrote:
If hardening BLAG

This would quite kick ass. I've gotten so lazy on security I should be banished from managing a distro. ;) I've done my time locking down boxes.

The big thing coming down the pipe is that we may have to start doing our own kernel separate from the fedora kernel.

Fedora, to me, has actually been very very very impressive with their Free Software "conformance". In fact, I think it's one of the largest misconceptions about the project is that they aren't "free" enough.

That said, gnewsense has started to do a /very/ free kernel. They have started to remove anything that looks blob-ish from their kernel. I checked it out. First thought was that they removed stuff that shouldn't been removed as their script was over agressive (even removing @gnu.org added code!). The other is that they based it on some weird script against the ubuntu kernel not a patch versus the vanilla linux kernel, thus rendering their approach nearly useless for other distros to blag.

Man, i'm a bit out of my head, but the sum of all this is:

you appear to know something. we may gotta start doing our own pure kernel. help, cuz i'm distracted by a shiny thing called openmoko.

-Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next