BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:46 am 
Site Admin

It's definitely going to stay on one CD/DVD

I just looked and removing samba would save nearly 27 megs! There's a lot we can do with 27 megs. Fuck windoz.

In fc2:
15.0M samba-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm
3.4M samba-client-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm
4.2M samba-common-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm
4.3M samba-swat-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm

What other windozy things can we kill while we're at it? ;)

The hard part is now the upgrade. How can we get it out without breaking things? My cheap hack is to just Obsolete: them, but that's more for dodgy p2p programs that went unmaintained. I wouldn't really want to do that to samba (well, maybe I would, but I won't...).

I really like firefox--it's my day-to-day browser. There's a thread about this somewhere... But we kinda /have/ to have mozilla just because it's mozilla, we kinda /have/ to have epiphany because it's stock gnome. I really want to add dillo too (miniscule) for small desktop installs running XFCE (which needs tweaking...).. Throwing firefox on that pile is quite a bit. Kinda cool though. But we're talking 30k in this thread, sooo. We can put the ball back in Fedora's court and let them figure out how they're gonna handle firefox (lots of calls to make it default). For 10k: browsers stay the same. For 20k: mozilla, epiphany, & dillo (but dillo probably not in gnome menu). 30k: firefox, epiphany, dillo? We'll see.

Also, fwiw, I'm liking gnome-ppp's state--it may come in soon.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:51 pm 
Please do not remove samba. Then again, I guess it wouldn't bother me if I can still download it via synaptic. I share files between my computer(Blag) and my roomates computer (windows) all of the time. It is very handy not having to burn a cd just to share files bewteen computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:14 am 
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
Please do not remove samba. Then again, I guess it wouldn't bother me if I can still download it via synaptic. I share files between my computer(Blag) and my roomates computer (windows) all of the time. It is very handy not having to burn a cd just to share files bewteen computers.

Relax! You can just grab it from the repo :)

Or, download the RPM's and install them:

http://www.blagblagblag.org/10000/i386/ ... 1.i386.rpm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

Must be a hard decision for the developers, [jeba et al], what to keep, disregard, put on the repo. I for one was impressed that BLAG is a `one cd d-load`. Seen distrowatch.com? some distros have 4 plus cds? I got adsl but not every body does.... It takes me time sometime but I can work out what I need to apt or get from other places...

long live BLAG :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:19 am 
Looks like Fedora Core 3 is Finally out. I know it might take a while but I was wondering when we might see a Blag 30000, providing Fedora core 3 is stable unlike Fedora 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

Chris wrote:
Looks like Fedora Core 3 is Finally out. I know it might take a while but I was wondering when we might see a Blag 30000, providing Fedora core 3 is stable unlike Fedora 2

well, for fc2 i built blag versions based on the -test releases. For FC3 I haven't even downloaded the dang thing yet. I've been distracted... Damn govt...

I'll get started on it and roll out a alpha version "earlier" than later though. My guess is that it's going to be way more stable than FC2. FC2 has had over 450 errata RPMs so far....

Later,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

are you planning on ever releasing 20k? or is it going to stay in permanent beta?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:02 pm 

As of right now,20k will remain in beta...untill all of the bugs are worked out. We might actually release 30k before 20k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:20 am 
Site Admin

I've added a repository for 30k. It is being populated with the FC3 errata which is already over 50 RPMs (!).

I have also added everything for FC3 from freshrpms.net as well.

I will try to roll out a rough alpha sometime soon. FC2 never really stabilized enough for a final release, IMHO so it's best to go straight to 30k at this point. I haven't heard much about FC3's stability yet--the number of errata so far is a surprise to me...

-Jeff

Post subject: wax my car
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:47 am 

perhaps if blag 3k could wax my car...

john
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:26 am 

Could an option to install LILO instead of GRUB be added? GRUB srews up my partiton table :cry:.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

arrowhead wrote:
Could an option to install LILO instead of GRUB be added? GRUB srews up my partiton table :cry:.

David

Really? That's unusual. You sure it's grub doing it? If so, and it's reproduceable, you should open up a bugzilla trouble ticket with redhat or let the grub guys know.

lilo has been deprecated for quite awhile.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am 

I am pretty sure but I will double check.
While the servers were down I tried a few other distros, and after every install I ran partition magic. As you say Lilo is on it's way out and the only distro I tried that uses it (MEPIS) didn't cause the errors that I got with the distros that use GRUB.
I get a mismatch between the CHS and LBA values, partitiom magic fixes it no problem though.
I will have to try some other distro that use Lilo to be completely sure if I can replicate the GRUB error every time. Does anyone know of any?

Another thing I need to check is that when I first had the problem with 10K updating (fonts going wonky after dist upgrade using synaptic) I ran PM then and discovered the HDD error. I am pretty sure I then reinstalled 10K, ran PM and found the error had come back so I let PM fix it. I then did a dist upgrade with synaptic and all went well. Do you think I am clutching at straws with this one or does everybody get the wonky fonts when upgrading via synaptic?

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:05 pm 

arrowhead wrote:
I will have to try some other distro that use Lilo to be completely sure if I can replicate the GRUB error every time. Does anyone know of any?

As best as I can remember, good ol' Slackware still uses Lilo. If you're gonna use it just for testing, I'm pretty sure you can just go with the first CD of 10.0 for a nice minimal install with lilo. Otherwise, you could try Crux which is small but you might not have the right machine for it. Alternatively, you could try Slax which is a LiveCD based off of Slackware, but is installable and I think that uses lilo as well, and is under a 200 meg download.

As for Blag, it's still especially fantastic. Grub is an excellent loader, and it's really easy to configure. But what I'd like in 30K (20K as well if possible) is that kernel-module for ndiswrapper and the utils! If I remember they are pretty damn small, but when I installed the 20k alpha expecting to have them, I didn't, nor did I have sufficient tools to install ndiswrapper from source. This was a big problem for me, as a person whose only means of a connection is via WLAN. I'm not a developer or anything, and maybe the problem is just that no ones made RPMs for those two things yet, but I don't see why they shouldn't be included in 20/30K (30k I haven't tried yet, so please do excuse me if this is a premature request).