BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Ok. I just shot a few emails back & forth with Dag, so maybe he'll get a chance to whip 'em up. If not, I'll get them going.

I've been setting up a whole bunch of new servers so it's been eating my time, but they are more or less ready now (well, still need /some/ tweaking...). But henceforth, images should be made at a much quicker rate in the future.

Also, Dag pointed me to this, which look real cool:
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/docs/buildsystem.txt

So I'll be setting up stuff for that too, once their software is ready.

Later,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:43 am 
Site Admin

hey, that thing @ rpmforge looks neat :) hopefully we'll be getting a few more RPM's coming (and hopefully kernel modules) so we can get things going. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:48 pm 
Well recently I have been refering my friends and family members to use Blag as their OS since so many of them keep having problems with windows getting spam and viruses. Well, I have noticed that two of my friends have had problems with updating their system with synaptic. After doing so all their text seams to dissapear. I found a topic in your forums about this and read about how running apt-get instead corrects this problem. However, most of the people I know are very computer eliterate and I do not want to attempt to tell them how log in as root, run commend etc... over the phone. I have decided that I will tell everyone I know to use Balg 9002 until the problem is hopefully resolved in Blag 10001.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:06 am 
Site Admin

ok, next time you install:

ONLY UPDATE A FEW PACKAGES AT A TIME FOR THEM. Go through, find the ones to be updated, and update a few at a time, and it should work just fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:12 pm 
So is there still a Blag 10001 on the way or are you busy working on Blag 30000 now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:51 am 
Site Admin

From the looks of things 10001 is halted right now, and jebba is dedicating all time to 20k and 30k. i really think he might as well drop *something* because having 9k, 10k, 20k and 30k all at the same time seems to be nothing but a headache for jebba.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:16 am 
In my opinion I would do away with 20000 because to many people are afraid to use it because of the whole winblows problem. I would consider doing away with 10000 also if 30000 turns out to be stable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Considering the issues with 20000 it would be better to keep 9002 and 10000 stable only adding updates to the repository. That means nothing else new necessary. Then just dedicate all efforts to get 30000 going. There is no need to have four versions going because there are typically two types of users. People who use the latest stable version and those whose hardware forces them to stick to an older version. If we are honest can we say 20000 is worth the hassle? Besides atonof errata if RH can't even sort it out, how can anyone who bases their OS on FC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

yeah, dropping 20k looks like a good idea right about now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:30 pm 

yea the 20k project never really got off the ground....thats why I'm gonna clean install a 30k beta when it comes out....just to see how it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:51 pm 

Hi,
Based on what you all are saying if you have 10K now you will not be able to upgrade to 30K. Or can you. Or do you have to do a clean install>

Thanks,
paul 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:55 am 
Site Admin

I will continue to update the 9k/10k/20k/30k repositories as things are released, but will likely not do any more custom packages for the old releases.

Fedora Legacy has been very slow at packaging updates. I was expecting them to do many more updates. Hopefully they will get things going.

As for 10001, it was originally delayed because I was expecting Dag to push out a few kernel-module RPMs, but he got wrapped up in other things. There was some conflict between Dag & ATrpms with respect to how to package modules and it wound up making them incompatible. Dag was going to re-write all his kernel-module spec files, but this is a huge project that he hasn't completed. Hopefully when he creates them for FC3 they will also be compatible with older releases. I don't mean to sound too harsh on Dag here--his work is great and a major component of BLAG releases. Thanks Dag. :)

I did many releases of 20k alphas, but none were ever good enough for me to call them stable--I preferred new users to use 10k over 20k. That said, I have been running 20k for months without any real problems. Also, if I call something "alpha" it means that upgrading from it may be a bit messy.

My main focus moving forward will be on 30k. I plan to make it so you can cleanly upgrade from 9k and 10k to 30k. I'll try to make it clean with 20k as well, but no promises there. I have set up a 30k repository already. It has /many/ FC3 errata RPMs already and I've copied tons of RPMs from FreshRPMs. Many of the FreshRPMs packages won't be in BLAG final, but I put them there anyway.

I've fallen quite a bit behind on 30k though. For 20k I had made versions based on FC2-test releases (e.g. I made blag versions even before FC2 was released). For FC3 I haven't even installed the thing yet. I've been quite wrapped up in the server seizure and bringing a /lot/ of new boxes online.

I have made some "infrastructure" changes that will allow us to work more cooperatively on development now. The development servers are in a co-location facility instead of my basement now. That means I can roll an .iso and make it immediately available. I'll also make more of the development directories available for people who really want the bleeding edge. It also has a ton more space. There is 1.7 terabytes available on the server (it's also used for other projects such as indymedia).

That said, I'm looking for a volunteer to maintain the RPMS.errata dir for a few weeks while I'll be mostly disconnected. This will be late December & early January. I could just cron it up, but I prefer to do it by hand. It isn't difficult to do, but if something goes haywire, you need to know how to fix things (e.g. if a package happens to break stuff, you have to remove it and regenerate the apt-get stuff). If you're interested, please mail me at moe@blagblagblag.org and give me some background on your "qualifications". I have a few folks in mind already. :)

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:31 am 
Site Admin

ok, a few things:

I'd prefer you not mix crap from several different repo vendors, but you seem to be doing this already, which == :D . it just makes it a total mess from what i always see. Anyways, I'm glad you seem to share my view that 20k never realized production quality (for linux anyways, M$ would release something at that stage :P ). I'm glad that 30k is moving along, although an initial alpha would be great, as I've got a test box I can run around with on now, so I'd be willing to help with BLAG 30K stuff like testing RPM's, making sure the BLAGCanyon theme works, etc. I'm not going to volunteer for watching over RPM's mind you, i'd probably mess it all up and create a hassle. Back on topic about 30K, we're using GNOME 2.8, so I think we might need to look at a few things and see whether or not we need to obsolete them. This includes the entire suite of VNC viewers and all sorts of other little things that happen to get outdated because of GNOME 2.8. So I think GNOME 2.8 will be a slight simplification for packages that have to be included as well. GNOME 2.8 really shines in the way that more gets integrated in, but without the bloat.

Anyways, that's just my $0.02, hope my rant didn't bore you.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:04 pm 

Now I hope you could maybe include fluxbox in 30k.....fluxbox is much better than blackbox IMO and the enhancements make it so much better. and if you get Menumaker at menumaker.sf.net and compile it and install it...it generates menus for many windowmanagers,and its much less painful than editing the menu by hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

stevo32 wrote:
I'd prefer you not mix crap from several different repo vendors, but you seem to be doing this already, which == :D . it just makes it a total mess from what i always see.

The packages I mix are based upon the "mega-merge" of Dag, FreshRPMs, ATrpms, Dries & NewRPMs. There is a list of who is authoritative for each package. Packages in the mega-merge should not conflict, even though they are from different packagers. I'll start mirroring the mega-merge at some point.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/mega-merge.php

-Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next