BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6610901.stm

"Computer maker Dell has chosen Ubuntu as the operating system for its range of Linux computers for consumers...Michael Dell, the founder, chairman and chief executive of Dell, is himself an Ubuntu user..."

What do you guys think? Personally I think it's _great_ news.

[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

I just hope that they make the underlying laptops work fine with free drivers. Ubuntu often ships proprietary drivers (at least in the past).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:12 am 

What I want is open source hardware. So far all the Linux computers/laptops I've seen have used binary olny Nvidia drivers. I'll stick to the small shops if that is the case here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I was glad to see that Micheal Dell uses Ubuntu. However I'm still not completetly sure on thier stance on "open and free". I've seen installs at the BLAG meets where some odd hardware is detected and the right components are installed for them. Think it was the "multiverse" repo that had binaries for proprietary drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
What I want is open source hardware. So far all the Linux computers/laptops I've seen have used binary olny Nvidia drivers. I'll stick to the small shops if that is the case here.

I believe FC7 is going to ship with nouveau, which is a new set of free drivers for nvidia which does 3d.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:48 am 

Wow, I thought nouveau was still pre-alpha. FC 7 should be out within a month (the 24th, supposedly).

Quote:
"Michael Dell, the founder, chairman and chief executive of Dell, is himself an Ubuntu user..."

I wish I had his hardware.

Ubuntu Feisty is hog-heaven if you aren't adverse to proprietary stuff. I set it up on a friend's Vista Core Duo Thinkpad. Vista barfed at repartitioning its own disk (though that is the recommended dual boot procedure, since MS has hockeyed around with NTFS so most Linux partitioners can't handle it). Feisty handled it with aplomb. It recognized the proprietary ATI X1300 and Intel wireless and just grabbed the drivers. Every time I pointed it at a different format it just downloaded the drivers, no muss or fuss, Flash, MOV, MP3, FLV, WMV, others (however it didn't find libdvdcss if you wanted to watch commercial DVDs, those you had to dig up for yourself). WPA-PSK worked out of the box (I remember having to futz with wpa_supplicant conf files as recently as Edgy). Beryl worked. It even mounted FSTAB Samba shares at boot even though he had to plug in his Wallet PW phrase to activate his wireless ethernet connection.

By comparison, Vista seemed crude, networking was a PITA, the graphics looked crappy, it was slow, it even froze solid once when Firefox tried to save a file to its application directory. I couldn't wait to boot back in the Feisty.

I've been playing with Ubuntu ever since Warty Warthog, 4.10, and frankly, I never found it very compelling, but I've got to say, I am VERY impressed with Feisty (not that it didn't display a few quirks and gotchas on both the other machines I installed it on, upgrading my previously Hoary Hedgehog Kubuntu and another fresh install for another friend).