Heh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Interview:

http://www2.nhpr.org/audio-graphics/aud ... -06-05.mp3

Post subject: re: Ron Paul
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:31 am 

thanks for that link; hadn't heard that interview. he certainly is a breath of fresh air among candidates on both sides (insofar as dems and repubs are two "sides" of anything) in calling for a speedy and unequivocal withdrawal from iraq, etc. the articles linked to here http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/06/04/taking-a-closer-look-at-ron-paul/ though are troubling. anyway, he ain't gonna win anything, so i'm just happy he's got a platform now to be advocating sensible anti-war views (and reframing the presidential debates that way) and making relevant criticisms of hypocrisy on both "sides."

Post subject: Re: re: Ron Paul
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

sameer_bhai wrote:
are troubling.

Well, they'd be troubling if he had actually written them (which he didn't) and/or if he believed and supported those views (which he doesn't). This is a person who has written hundreds (thousands) of articles, but not those above. Look deeper, if that's not clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 pm 

hey jebba, it was clear from one of the links on that page that Paul claims not to have written the articles that went out under his name in his newsletter:

Quote:
Update: Several apologists note that Paul now claims that the newsletter was written by a ghostwriter -- as though this somehow absolves him of responsibility for over a decade of hate speech.

This argument, all on its own, should be enough to disabuse anyone of the idea that Paul is a "straight talker." The newsletter went out under his name. If he didn't read the copy first, he should have. He owns the words in it -- either because he wrote them, or he bought and paid for them to be written for his own purposes. To claim now that he's somehow not responsible is like a politician saying, "That thing I said? I don't really believe it -- it's just something my speechwriter cooked up." Or a businessman claiming he's not party to a contract because his lawyer, acting as his agent, signed it for him.

Either argument would be laughed out of court.

i haven't dug much deeper than those links, i guess, because i tend to agree with this argument against apologia on behalf of Paul's relationship to his Newsletter. it seems very plausible to me that a busy politician wouldn't have the time to actually write everything in his/her newsletter. but given that a host of racist, nationalist, xenophobic, etc., remarks seem to have been published fairly regularly under his name, i'd want to hear him apologize for and denounce those statements at the very least before i felt any better about Paul's background. i'll start the googling, but if you know where he does this, i'd love to read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

sameer_bhai wrote:
it seems very plausible to me that a busy politician wouldn't have the time to actually write everything in his/her newsletter. but given that a host of racist, nationalist, xenophobic, etc., remarks seem to have been published fairly regularly under his name

Huh? Regularily? I've heard about one newsletter written in 10+ (25+?) years ago. That's the one you linked to there.

Too bad pretty much the only thing in this thread so far about him is a anti-RP troll's delight (not that I'm saying that's what you're trying to do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:28 am 

you're right, i had no intention of hijacking this thread. will bow out of it now and let others chime in and show RP the love he's got coming to him re his anti-war stance, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:37 am 

On the Democrats "side" I find Mike Gravel to also be a breath of fresh air. I also have to give kudos to someone who had a one man 5 month filibuster to end the draft, and succeeded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... ike_Gravel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:43 am 
Site Admin

Ya, he's interesting too. Like Kucinich...

Post subject: 777 Nevada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:42 am 
Site Admin

Triple Sevens in Las Vegas

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3331896994

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Ron Paul @ Google
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM_wQy4YVg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:29 pm