FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Networking Question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qa1433
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Networking Question? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have to share broadband between 2 computers with an A-B switch. After sharing the broadband connection with my B machine my Blag machine loses broadband and times out.

What is the CLI command to restart the network connection without having to do a total re-boot into Blag?

Thanks for the reply,
Paul 8)

jebba
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Networking Question? Reply with quote

qa1433 wrote:
What is the CLI command to restart the network connection without having to do a total re-boot into Blag?

Code:
/sbin/service network restart

I've noticed with some broadband connections the cable/dsl modem needs to be rebooted as the ISP tracks MAC addresses for DHCP.

Also, you can share your connection with NAT, if you have a hub or dual ethernet in one of the cards. Here's my "nat-on" script:

Code:

#!/bin/sh

# insert masquerade module
modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE

# flush old rules
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t mangle -F

# turn on NAT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

# forward IPs
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Where eth0 is the ethernet connection to the internet.

-Jeff

qa1433
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply.
I am using a LinkSys cable router located in my wifes office downstairs. My upstairs office has 3 computers. I am going to have to get off my lazy ass after the hoilidays and do 2 more runs from the downstairs office to my upstairs office. I just hate that! I might fall thru the ceilling. I am getting to old for those kinds of injury and pain:lol: However, I just might buy a little hub and do the NAT script you suggested.

Again, thanks for the help. You have a very very nice distro here. I can't wait for 3000. :P

paul 8)

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP