FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
installing Cinelerra from SVN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
claudejones
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: installing Cinelerra from SVN Reply with quote

I haven't had much to say on the forums for awhile, because blag is just working for me. I haven't transitioned to it is as my main desktop for various reasons, just having to with lack of free time, but, kudos to the development team.

I have a suggestion to offer which may be way off base and I won't be offended if you tell me so. My interest in this distro is primarily because of its FC roots and because of its great enhancements for the content creation community. The program I'm personally working with a lot now is Cinelerra. I just completed my first long form project with it, and found out how much I still have to learn, but, the results were great.

So, on to my suggestion. Cinelerra is the most promising of the various video editors out there from what I can tell, not necessarily because of its inherent superiority from the standpoint of code architecture - but because of its fairly large community of very active developers. It's a big piece of software which is undergoing intensive development. Currently, someone is packaging rpms for Fedora which you're offering in the blag repos. These are pretty good, tending to be on a 2-3 month release schedule, but, that's only recent, and is totally at the discretion of the package maintainer who I gather is very busy. Also, the package he produces is not compiled with the GL features enabled, which Cinelerra can apparently take great advantage of. So, I'm wondering if it would be possible to implement a somewhat more streamlined process for getting Cinelerra from their subversion repo. It takes a bit of know-how to set that up the first time, something I was able to do once a couple of years ago, but was frustrated by in a more recent attempt since FC6 came out.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting at, since I'm not sure what would be required, but, the big problem I faced with installing from SVN was trying to figure out all the dependencies. Once its done once, it's a simple command to update your installation to the latest version, and if you install from SVN, you can compile it with any switches and options you want, to meet various needs. I don't know if this process could be easily simplified or how hard it would be to set up, but I just submit it to your consideration.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is long, I read all this, I think it is not very installing from SVN that meet a wide range of demands, but it seem as one no bad idea.
jebba
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreshRPMS is getting the source from http://cvs.cinelerra.org which is a community of devs that patch the upstream cinelerra. FreshRPMS hasn't updated since 20070108. A newer snapshot could be done easily or with great pain, depending upon the changes. ;)

List of changes:
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/svn_log.php

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP