BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:16 pm 

Yeah, there is a new alpha-iso on the server... testing it tonight ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:24 pm 

Ola!

What's up for now with 70k? Any chance to see a beta or final this year? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:08 pm 

*push!

No answer to my question?;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:10 pm 

My BLAG-69999.10002 is now on 32 days of uptime. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:14 am 
Site Admin

BLAG general update. :)

Well, I took a bit of a blag hiatus as some of you may have noticed... It's nice to come back and to see the forums still so lively! Thanks to everyone who helped others with their questions!

Even though I wasn't here nor doing much development I was still using blag everyday... One application I've spent some time with now is ardour2, which I must say is excellent. It is a "high end" audio application.

Last night I pushed a bunch of updates into the 60k and 70k repositories. I'll likely do some builds of various BLAG applications today, such as firefox. There are firefox updates in the repo (so security updates were never missed in my "absense") but they are fedora's builds which have minor annoyances (to me).

70k hasn't seen any further development in the last month. One of the main reasons for this is that I am still running 60k on my main systems. I haven't upgraded because I haven't felt any pressing need. For now 60k is doing all I need and fc7 doesn't bring that much more to the table (that I see). Not that fc7 is a bad release or anything (it isn't), I'm just content. :)

For a bit of history, blag has released "stable" CDs based on RedHat 9, FC1, FC3, FC5, and FC6. For more info on that see:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Roadmap

So where do we stand? FC8 is coming out in less than a month. Should I focus my efforts on that now? That's what I'm inclined to do, unless there is good reason and/or demand to do otherwise.

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:06 am 
Site Admin

I'd say keep 70k as a live CD and freeze it if enough people say it's "stable". I've used FC8 from a live CD and USB key. (No time for report here). It's importtant for new users to try it out without committing to an installation. Not every one has a spare box or partition, or even know how to manipulate partitions.

Glad you are back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 am 
Site Admin

The blag livecd is quite crap though. I'd hardly want to say that is blag's stable release...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:57 pm 

welcome back!

My personal opinion is to finish 70k, even if it means scaling down the scope, such just leaving the liveCD as is, dropping the new icon schemes, etc. So far I find 70K to be the best OS ever, I use it everyday in my home. I find it faster, more responsive and prettier than all that have come before it. Fedora 8 is mostly a polish of Fedora 7, so the work on 70K should role over to 80K fairly well.

I have some personal bias too since I've been holding off rebuilding my computer till 70K goes gold. I realize that I'm not the one actually doing the work, so I'm not going to hold a grudge if you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:43 pm 

I'm with Noldrin on the stability and performance of 69K. I originally installed it on a spare partition and kept 60K as my "base" OS, but found that I preferred it so much I made it my default OS as well. It's now installed on my laptop and I haven't had a single issue with it that I haven't been able to readily resolve.

That said, I'd be content to wait on Fedora 8 and BLAG 80K if that seems prudent to the development team. IMHO the current Alpha product is a more than adequate stopgap measure between 60K and its successor.

Regarding the live CD, it might be a little rough, but I'm guessing the intention behind it is a "try-before-you-buy" sort of proposition, not a preferred configuration as in Knoppix or Kanotix. I often use it (or the equivalent on a USB stick) when forced to borrow someone's PC. it's my home away from home. :^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Ya, i've actually spent the last few hours working on getting a recent 69k built.

FYI, i have done a BUNCH of CD images since the June 27 BLAG-69999.10002.iso release, they've just all been broken. But I've finally figured out why. FUCKIGN YUMAFASBASDc.

A `yum` bug which is still there as of the latest September `yum` release. Here's the bug report (notice it's closed):
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=246357

Fedora is kind of acting like they want people to respin, but if you are actually using updated versions of the tools they provide/release things are often busted. I go thru this all the time, now others are too. ;)

Anyway, the livecd is a test drive type of thing (e.g. "will it work with my monitor" or whatever), but i'm not too inclined to spend a lot of time on it at this point.

Via irc stevo32 echoed what you guys said: "69k is really solid". So maybe I'll go for pushing out a stable release. I'm kind of travelling around right now, so i'm not sure how far i'll make it though. At least there will be a nicer alpha. ;) Oh, and if you can solve anything lurking in bugzilla, that would be nice. Even easy things, like bookmarks....

Thanks,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:44 pm 

Cool.. although I'm not going to really touch it till something fresher comes out so that I don't retread previously done work. I'm excited about seeing further progress on 70K, really makes my day. I plan on upgrading all my machines to it, if and when it goes gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:34 pm 

Jeff,
I've been playing around with the 69999.10002 release for about a week now, and I also agree, it's solid. It doesn't seem like it needs that much polishing to go "gold".
Besides getting some updated packages into the repo, do you have a "short list" of bugzilla issues that you want fixed before saying "This is 70000"? I'd love to start knocking through the remaining bugs and help out. It'd be helpful to know which ones you think need to be fixed as opposed stuff that's lower priority.
Anything I can do to assist, let me know.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Ok,

I'll go thru bugzilla and tag some stuff with priorities so we all are on the same page. Although I believe i've pinpointed the error in the current installer I dont actually have it working.

My plan today is to work on 69k and play ping pong in the tourney here:
http://squat.net/tanneries/ (I'm actually at a building with "apt-get install anarchy" on the side of it :) So if nothing else comes up...

Incidentally I'll be in France and Holland over the next couple weeks if you happen to "live in the area" we could meet up. I tried to go to London (to zcat) last weekend but they refused me entry into the UK. Garr.

Ciao,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Admin

Ah, and coming to irc.indymedia.org #blag is often helpful to coordinate things.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 am 
Site Admin

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ok, i got anaconda fixed. I'll be putting up an updated image here soon (just waiting for the install to completely finish and i'll boot it up to make sure it's not totally foo or anything).

-Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next