BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nvidia driver issues
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:45 am 

*sigh* I have an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200, and trying to install the Nvidia driver on another install was a bit of a chore. Once I finally had all the pre-requisites installed, i finally worked out how to install it, and all seemed fine, and was able to enable Desktop Effects at last. Except that the desktop would not give me a resolution greater than 1024x768 since installing Nvidia driver. I tried editing xorg.conf to add other resolutions, but would not seem to "stick". Also, since installing driver, when I checked how BLAG identified my card, it was listed as "unknown", whereas before the install it knew what it was. This is really annoying. I can't recommend something if I can't get it to work successfully. Help please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:34 am 

maybe to obvious, but you are editing in root, correct? otherwise it won't "stick."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:11 am 

I'm getting sick of this. Every other distro has proven relatively simple to set up, and beryl/desktop effects has proven straight forward. With this, once I install the drivers, the distro claims it doesn't recognise my vid card or monitor, when it did before. Piss-farting around with this sort of thing is not what a person needs to be wasting their time on. Most stuff works out of the box, but to get 3-D acceleration, one requires NVIDIA drivers, which can be installed with a ,little bit of stuffing around and research, but getting the fucking thing to realise that it should STILL be able to see resolutions above 1024x768 is a fucking pain. I've had a gutful of this. If it won't work, no point using it. I have plenty of others to work with.

And yes, I have edited as root.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:15 am 

just my 2 cents, but partially another reason why i think nvidia sucks. in windows and linux. also partially why i bounced around a few different distros too.

blag is running to good, especially on this POS, HP computer i have, to dump this one so fast, for me though.

i knew it was a lame attempt at helping you, just thought i'd give it a shot.

good luck in what ever distro you go with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:36 am 
Site Admin

Zero wrote:
I'm getting sick of this. Every other distro has proven relatively simple to set up, and beryl/desktop effects has proven straight forward. With this, once I install the drivers, the distro claims it doesn't recognise my vid card or monitor, when it did before. Piss-farting around with this sort of thing is not what a person needs to be wasting their time on. Most stuff works out of the box, but to get 3-D acceleration, one requires NVIDIA drivers, which can be installed with a ,little bit of stuffing around and research, but getting the fucking thing to realise that it should STILL be able to see resolutions above 1024x768 is a fucking pain. I've had a gutful of this. If it won't work, no point using it. I have plenty of others to work with.

Well, it works fine with free drivers. If you try proprietary drivers they are a pain, no doubt. But don't come bitching here about that... This is a Free Software distro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:14 am 

jebba wrote:
Zero wrote:

Well, it works fine with free drivers. If you try proprietary drivers they are a pain, no doubt. But don't come bitching here about that... This is a Free Software distro.

I see. So thats your attitude. Fine, I shall not be recommending this to my members then if thats the way you want to be. I'm clearly frustrated, and have tried very hard with this distro, but apparently the fact that, to use the features I want (Desktop Effects), I NEED the NVIDIA driver. But apparently I'm a whiny bitch for being frustrated. No matter that it works easily in every other distro I tried. If not for this one thing, and now, your attitude, I'd be happy to share this with my members, but don't worry, I shall not bother you and yours any more. It's this kind of attitude that stops people from bothering with Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Zero wrote:
I see. So thats your attitude. Fine, I shall not be recommending this to my members then if thats the way you want to be. I'm clearly frustrated, and have tried very hard with this distro, but apparently the fact that, to use the features I want (Desktop Effects), I NEED the NVIDIA driver. But apparently I'm a whiny bitch for being frustrated. No matter that it works easily in every other distro I tried. If not for this one thing, and now, your attitude, I'd be happy to share this with my members, but don't worry, I shall not bother you and yours any more. It's this kind of attitude that stops people from bothering with Linux.

The part that you may not understand is that I totally don't give a shit if you use this distro or not. But I don't like to hear people griping--no one does. If it's something broken in BLAG or someone can't configure something out, well, then I'll help them out which I do /all/ the time. But if they're just bitching about BLAG because they can't get some proprietary thing going, well, I don't WANT them to use the distro.

PLONK!

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm 

i run with nvidia n proprietary driver, using nvidia-xconfig was able to configure just about everything in all blags since 50k in matter of minutes.

on a sidenote - as many times i had problems with software in blag - most of times these were problems of the software not blag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:19 pm 

I was awestruck/dumbstruck upon reading his last [I hope] flamemail.

What a Beevis!! You folks do this for the grand price of FREE!! You take a normally flakey, and generally unsupported Linux version and make it SING.

Is it you get what you pay for - or you pay for what you get? He doesn't get the concept of free software, and is obviously too cheap to buy all the stuff to be Windows 1st class.

Personally, I think he should cough up the BIG bucks for a "real" distro. He should go to IBM. They will charge him REAL bucks for a REAL distro.

THEN let him bitch, piss, and moan to THEM...or Mandrake, or.....

I have really had enough of the "The world owes me." set.

I laud BLAG and blaggers, and especially you, Jeff, for your constraint in reply. I would not have been as pleasant .

I'm reminded of the time that aol went on the net. The guy is obviously U.S. - sorry, but he's not mine.

I would wring his neck, tho-

b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

berkbw wrote:
I was awestruck/dumbstruck upon reading his last [I hope] flamemail.

I like his idle threat to not mention blag to his "members" or whatever. Oh no! That'll keep me up at night! I won't have his users to support! Woe.

Post subject: UG !
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:13 am 

Im disappointed in missing this thread , obviously the dude couldnt find his asshole with a flashlight and a map ! This stuff really isnt that difficult and I doubt he tried /Applications/System tools / Nvidia settings /x server display ... which overrides the default screen resolution settings . I have installed blag and had beryl running @ 1280x1024 with my NVIDIA 6100 within 20 minutes of install and that includes yum/ apt updates . EASY !

These people dont want to use LINUX , they want a hand holding asswiping distro .. like that shit box UBUNTU ( pukes ) what a tool to come on here and spew sappy threats .. all due to incompetence and laziness .. Just so you know I truly appreciate B.L.A.G. and the efforts that encompass it . Ive ran slackware for years , after using blag for a few weeks I up and decided to flush my HD today and run nothing but BLAG .. Best damn distro around ! Resistance is futile !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:41 am 

hey,
even i found that, /Applications/System tools / Nvidia settings /x server display, without to much digging.

sure wish i would've known blag/mplayer had all those codecs installed before i got all wizzed off looking for those stupid w32codecs!!

have to agree about that ubuntu stuff!! although i do require some hand holding, i AM trying!
anybody have a secret way to learn the command line stuff in a day or two though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:36 am 

No magic trick .. just practice and more practice . Im still learning ...& I take lots of notes cuz my memory is crap ! Just like anything .. time works wonders :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:14 pm 

Fascinating. I come for help, and get told I'm "bitching", and a "beevis". It's attitudes like this which is what holds linux back from being accepted by many. I've test-driven MANY distros, and the stuckup attitudes on this forum are what will relegate it to obscurity. People want functionality, and that sometimes requires using something non-free. The fact I was frustrated should have been obvious, but rather than attempt to help (with the exception of saddletramp, to whom I express my thanks), the attitudes expressed here are the very reason linux remains a minority.

There are more friendly distros, with more friendly communities. I made the mistake of thinking this one cared about helping. And how sad some of you must be to need to ""put the boot in" because I realised you weren't interested in helping someone who asked for it. Christ, how pathetic.

I really did want to praise this to people, it's a nice product, but when you're answer to things is to mock and ridicule them because they want something that requires *gasp* non-free drivers, you really do prove how pathetic you are, needing to mock others to cover your own short-comings.. And as for it being free, so are many of the other distros I've tried, and they all work fine, with little to know fucking around needed. So, in parting, I'm sure you will all feel the need to mock me in my absence, proving how childish you can be, but the wonderful thing about linux is, there are so many choices. And I don't need any "paid for" linux to function thank you, this one is the ONLY one to refuse to play nice. So don't bother claiming I need hand-holding. I try, and recommend many different distros to people in Australia, but sadly, this one just doesn't measure up where it counts, the community. But thats ok, there are many more useful and friendly places to pick from. Have fun kiddies. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:33 pm 

Hmm, other distros don't do what you claim is "holding Linux back" and they don't seem to be getting anywhere either. Seems like a steaming pile of hyperbole to me. The point of the distro and of the GNU project is to make 100% free software systems. If they include nonfree software than that pretty much defeats the purpose of the exercise in the first place. If this was the only distro around then you might ("might") have a point. But there are over 100 distros to pick from, and only 6 are 100% free software, which is to point out that BLAG is filling a niche. If you are looking for a system that include non free stuff, go have your pick.

http://www.distrowatch.com