FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
yum -y update appears to hang liveBLAG-79999.00032.iso

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john maclean
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: yum -y update appears to hang liveBLAG-79999.00032.iso Reply with quote

Run yum update on liveBLAG-79999.00032.iso and the process will go and get the latest data. However the system appears to be unresponsive once complete. Performed as a paravirtualised Xen image. Has anyone updated a running alpha live iso and if so what was the outcome?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean running `yum update` while the liveCD is running or of an installation based off a liveCD? I've done it on 79k installations a lot (well, mostly with apt)
john maclean
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, whilst the live cd is running. Is one supposed to do that or not? Everything else works fine thus far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ya you can do it, but it's a bit of a waste since the update is lost.
john maclean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That is fair enough. There is no point in updating a live cd but I've always been curious to know the out come. It was a virtualised "machine" so it was safe to thrash it. By the way, within the live cd, df tells me that there is a total of 4gb! is wonderment this a result of the squashfs?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Well, ya you can do it, but it's a bit of a waste since the update is lost.

Actually, I may be wrong on this. If you do a `yum update` after booting the live CD and install with `liveinst` (you currently have to edit the anaconda line in `liveinst` and add --noselinux) then the system that gets written to the hard drive should be the updated system. I'm not sure what the merits are to doing it this way.

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Though of that 4gb not all of the space is used--a lot of it is empty.

Which brings me to something interesting I came across.

What it is is that ext3 doesn't actually go through and zero out those sectors so they still have data that gets compressed in the squashfs.

-Jeff

I've yet to use this tool to make a live USB key fob. Following on from what you've said it would be interesting to install say, 80k on a stick and run df within that. If df showed more than the physical size of the key fob that would be crazy.

john maclean
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t!

This is a video taken ->within<- the virtialised image. Ain't no freaking hardware on this device and it can _still_ capture video.

http://www.jayeola.org/media/movies/screencast_liveblag.ogg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john maclean wrote:
w00t!

This is a video taken ->within<- the virtialised image. Ain't no freaking hardware on this device and it can _still_ capture video.

http://www.jayeola.org/media/movies/screencast_liveblag.ogg

hahaha that was cool thx :)

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP