BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

I like the fact only 1CD is used. It makes distributing it so much easier. All you got to do to get all them programs is use apt-get :)

Perhaps a solution to downloading files for each workstation on your network is a way to download the files and then distribute them on your LAN. I am not sure how it could be done though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:48 pm 
Well, it can't be just one CD--it would have to be 3-5 more or so, especially if you include the repositories. The DVD is basically that second CD, if you need lots of apps.

You will be able to `apt-get dist-upgrade` from 9002 to 10000. This will upgrade things like openoffice as well. apt-get uses the contents of the DVD for the "extras" repository. If there are things from the 5 repositories you want to see included on the DVD, let me know what they are. I have lots of space on the DVD...

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:48 pm 
Keep it one cd! It is point less and a waist of a cd to have more than one. People can just download what they need from either the repository or the internet if they need other programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:11 pm 

One of the big reasons why I chose to get BLAG was the fact it only needed one disk. I've been able to pass it to other techs easily by request. Nearly everytime I do that someone else is talking about it the next day. Synaptic has been a great tool for adding what I want and getting rid of what I don't. I will probably download the DVD because it does have everything I could want, but I will wait to do that if you guys want to pack it with more stuff. Could you post or send me a message when that happens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'll post a further rationale, but in sum I've had the 1-CD debate with myself and 1-CD wins. Basically just going to a second CD doesn't gain much, if you open that door you basically go to 7 CDs... The "1-cd" thing totally rocks for distributing copies of BLAG for others. It also forces me to keep bloat out.

Also, `apt-get dist-upgrade` doesn't put too much of a hit on the server. The server's load is quite low. Bandwidth is a bigger issue, and a bunch of smaller apt-gets take less bandwidth than a full .iso download.

Perhaps we can convince one of the companies that is selling BLAG CDs to also sell BLAG DVDs. There is a list of these groups at http://www.blagblagblag.org/download/

Also, even if you can't actually burn the DVD, you can use it for net installs/updates of existing systems. Granted, 'net installs aren't possible for most newbies, but if you grok it, it's a great way to get a whole network up-to-sync.

-Jeff