BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blag on the Lip
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:18 pm 

I've got a podcast that I inherited from someone else called the Linux Install Podcast (aka the Lip). I record myself installing different distros, going through the process step by step. It's nothing that great, but I do have an audience, it's listed on distrowatch's main page and on the web pages of several other linux podcasts. I've just uploaded the first part of an episode installing Blag 70000. The sound quality isn't all that good because of some problems I've had replacing the laptop that I had previously recorded it on. I'm using a usb sound card at the moment but it produces an audible background hiss.

The podcast can be downloaded from http://thelip.net . The rss feeds for the podcast are http://thelip.net/lipmp3.xml for the mp3 file and http://thelip.net/lipogg.xml for the ogg. I'd be interested in some feedback in case I've misrepresented something or some suggestions of what to cover in following episode(s).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Nice, just listening to it now. Thanks for including info about what Free Software really is. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:53 am 
Site Admin

I may have kind of missed but it seems at the extra packages stage you went to the part where you can enter ANY repo that you want (e.g. atrpms or something), but the BLAG repos are available there too (from memory here, i can't remember the exact words).

Nice podcast, btw :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:08 am 
Site Admin

BTW, you could edit /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group to change the UID of your user to 1000 or whatever you have to match debian.

Also, I say it "ch-own" (all as one word, but saying the latter like "own") since it stands for "change ownership".

One way to chown would be to just run:
Code:
chown -R ewl:ewl /home/ewl

Also, when you were talking about it you kept mentioning the "permissions" of the directory when it would be more accurate to speak of the "ownership" of the directory. "Permissions" usually refers to the read, write, execute bit on the file/directory and is set with `chmod`.

Hope that helps. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 am 
Site Admin

Actually, since of 60k or so, we've been including enough development tools to build a kernel or modules or anything like that (e.g. basic gcc, make, glibc-devel, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:49 am 
Site Admin

Instead of a new post while i'm listening...here's some notes.

Speed (actually bandwidth) of servers? What are you getting by the way? (I was just checking out amazon s3, out of curiosity...).

Wow, fresh install and 100+ megs of updates. Perhaps that should be our criteria for a new spin. ;) 70001? iron_chef? :)

sticky "build from source" thing
Instead of `apt-cache search kernel ; apt-cache search headers` this would better get what you were looking for:

Code:
apt-cache search kernel headers

Regardless, "kernel-headers-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.i386.rpm" is on the CD! (along with all the other things needed to build that module)

For that matter why were you building that module at all? The rt61pci.ko module is in the 2.6.22 kernel. (Is that what you had?)

synaptic should be less buried.

Instead of restarting the computer (!), it seems you could just run:
Code:
/etc/init.d/network restart

Some wifi commands:
Code:
iwconfig
iwconfig eth0 channel 1
iwconfig eth0 essid foo
iwlist eth0 scan
ifup eth0
ifdown eth0

Open your network! :) I use ESSID "consume".

wifi is so fucking painful though. Just plug in ethernet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:37 am 

jebba wrote:
BTW, you could edit /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group to change the UID of your user to 1000 or whatever you have to match debian.

Also, I say it "ch-own" (all as one word, but saying the latter like "own") since it stands for "change ownership".

Code:

But wouldn't that just change the ownership for the directory and not the contents?

jebba wrote:
Also, when you were talking about it you kept mentioning the "permissions" of the directory when it would be more accurate to speak of the "ownership" of the directory. "Permissions" usually refers to the read, write, execute bit on the file/directory and is set with `chmod`.

Right, I do that a lot. That's why I script the intro (and I should really script the feedback portion too). I realized that I had used the wrong word when I was editing it afterwards. I sometimes do a follow-up episode to correct my mistakes. I think my listeners are used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:53 am 

jebba wrote:
Regardless, "kernel-headers-2.6.22.9-91.fc7.i386.rpm" is on the CD! (along with all the other things needed to build that module)

For that matter why were you building that module at all? The rt61pci.ko module is in the 2.6.22 kernel. (Is that what you had?)

I actually had rt61.ko. It's a pc card. I've never been able to get the atheros card which is built in to work. So I use a pc card wireless card with it instead. Maybe rt61.ko is included too? I didn't know that.

No what I needed to compile the module was the kernel source, I think. I think that's what kernel-devel... is, isn't it?

jebba wrote:
Instead of restarting the computer (!), it seems you could just run:
Code:
/etc/init.d/network restart

I 'll give that a shot.
jebba wrote:
Some wifi commands:
Code:
iwconfig
iwconfig eth0 channel 1
iwconfig eth0 essid foo
iwlist eth0 scan
ifup eth0
ifdown eth0

Open your network! :) I use ESSID "consume".

wifi is so fucking painful though. Just plug in ethernet!

But I love it so much! ;) I need to be connected in my living room and not just in my computer room, and I'm not into drilling holes in the wall.

I would have the network open but my wife is paranoid. I actually got the built in wireless card working once with ndiswrapper (non-free of course) without wep encryption, but my wife freaked that the network wasn't secure, so to passify her I set up wep encryption and I've never been able to get it to work since. She somehow thinks that not encrypting will open us up to hackers. I don't bother arguing with her about it. It's useless ...

BTW Jeff, I'll go over all these errors in the next episode. So if you can think of any more ideas, let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:09 am 
Site Admin

ewl wrote:
jebba wrote:
Code:

But wouldn't that just change the ownership for the directory and not the contents?

The "-R" would make it recursive and change the ownership of the directory and its contents.

On a different note, it is preferred to do `chown -R foo:foo bar` or `grep -i foo bar` than to do `chown foo:foo bar -R` or `grep foo bar -i`. I mean that it's better practice to put the "-" options immediately after the command and not at the end. OpenBSD does requires it, so doesn't permit using `ls foo -l` for example.

So it would be "chown dash upper 'R' E-W-L colon E-W-L" etc...

Take a look at the application `jamin` for cleaning up audio (or even more simply audacity).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:19 am 

jebba wrote:

Take a look at the application `jamin` for cleaning up audio (or even more simply audacity).

I use audacity to record it. I've tried the noise filter but it makes everything sound like I'm talking in a fish bowl. I'll look at jamin though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:24 am 

jebba wrote:
Speed (actually bandwidth) of servers? What are you getting by the way? (I was just checking out amazon s3, out of curiosity...).

Well apt-get tells me I'm getting around 155 kB/s. My maximum is around 350 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

ewl wrote:
I would have the network open but my wife is paranoid.

Perhaps point her at this!

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/ ... tters_0110
Bruce Schneier wrote:
Whenever I talk or write about my own security setup, the one thing that surprises people -- and attracts the most criticism -- is the fact that I run an open wireless network at home. There's no password. There's no encryption. Anyone with wireless capability who can see my network can use it to access the internet.

I actually do the same...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:33 pm 

jebba wrote:

That's a great article, and I agree with it completely. It reminds me of some of John Allen Paulos's arguments in "Innumeracy". People worry far more about sharks when they go to the ocean than they do about getting killed in a driving accident getting there when the latter is far more likely than the former. Unfortunately it's not the type of argument that will convince my wife. She worries about the fact that I don't lock my car door in my own driveway. Appeasing her fears is one of the compromises I make in our marriage. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:00 pm 

Hi Ed my wireless is also open but I monitor all connections to it and ban anyone who abuse it.

To get your onboard Atheros wifi card to work is simple just install the madwifi driver, it is in the Blag repo so can be installed by apt-get install madwifi. I use many wifi cards and never ever use Ndiswrapper after installing the madwifi driver just reboot then do iwconfig and you should see the ath0 or wlan0 interface for the Atheros card.

Good luck

Vas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm 

jebba wrote:
Wow, fresh install and 100+ megs of updates. Perhaps that should be our criteria for a new spin. ;) 70001? iron_chef? :)

Heh. That's exactly what I was thinking.... Hopefully I'll have a couple of free hours today, and that's what I'll be working on. :) Stay tuned, true believers... you'll hear it here first when there's a fresh updated re-spin.

Joe