FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
at-spi removal causes Gnome to fail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: at-spi removal causes Gnome to fail Reply with quote

I setup BLAG 70K today on my dad's system. He had been using 60K, and we decided to do a fresh install of BLAG.

After installing BLAG 70K, I tried to customize the Gnome Desktop environment. I tried removing things I thought we did not need. I removed "at-spi", which is some sort of "assistive technology" I believe. After that, rebooting the system resulted in Gnome missing entirely as a Desktop Environment.

I tried this again on a test system that I have, and the same thing happened.

Is "at-spi" required if I want to use Gnome?

Thanks,
Mike

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: at-spi removal causes Gnome to fail Reply with quote

hansencomputers wrote:
I setup BLAG 70K today on my dad's system. He had been using 60K, and we decided to do a fresh install of BLAG.

After installing BLAG 70K, I tried to customize the Gnome Desktop environment. I tried removing things I thought we did not need. I removed "at-spi", which is some sort of "assistive technology" I believe. After that, rebooting the system resulted in Gnome missing entirely as a Desktop Environment.

I tried this again on a test system that I have, and the same thing happened.

Is "at-spi" required if I want to use Gnome?

apparently

Did it say it was going to remove a bunch of other stuff? How did you remove it anyway? It likely is needed by other gnome stuff.

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the "ADD/Remove Software" window, and un-checked the box called at-spi. It removed other dependent programs, like GOK and ORCA.

Mike

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue of late, but not exactly related to the "at-spi" issue, is that the optional Gnome package called "nautilus-sendto-0.10-4.fc7.i386" fails to install.

I get an error message after the attempt to download it saying "failure: nautilus-sendto-0.10-4.fc7.i386 from errata: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try"

Not a big deal, but when first setting up the system with Gnome, this option seems to be selected, and it does not install. I'm not sure if it is related, but after installing BLAG 70K, without customizing during setup, I find that the Gnome Desktop Environment is not selected in the Add/Remove Programs list. If I try to select it and change any options, I get hung up when it trys to install "nautilus-sendto". If I un-check this option, it always adds it back in as an option, and then can not download it.

I realize this is off the original issue, but this all occurred during the same installation.

Mike

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make zero changes to the default package install during a regular CD installation, you will get everything you need for a gnome desktop. You do not need to add/remove anything. If it's not working, test your media. :)
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'll re-check my media.

When I installed without any customization, I found that Gnome Desktop Environment, while installed and working, was not checked in the Add/Remove Programs list. The "Optional Pakages" button was grayed out. After checking the box next to Gnome, the options button became available. At this point, the "nautilus-sendto" option is checked, but can not download.

I installed, XFCE, and used that Desktop Environment when Gnome would disappear. From there I could select Gnome again, and install it.

I do like to experiment, just to learn what I can/can't do. Thanks for answering the questions. I have straightened out my test machine, and Gnome is working fine.

Mike

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP