BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: screen resolution error
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:28 am 

I have had some problems with the desktop on my non root user account I would open programs like DeeVeeDee and Thoggen and the window would cascade below the task bar at the bottom of my screen and i was unable to access the content at the bottom of the window, when i logged in as root the window opens fine on the desktop it doesn't go past the bottom of the screen, i have been trying to adjust the different resolution on the display control on both users and now i can't log on to my non root account because my monitor a dell E20WFP reads an error that the screen resolution is not supported and that the optimal resolution is 1680 x 1050 can any one help out or know how to change it so i can log on to my non root account ? here is my x11 screen read config
Code:
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen0"
   Device     "Videocard0"
   Monitor    "Monitor0"
   DefaultDepth     24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport   0 0
      Depth     24
      Modes    "1680x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1280x768" "1280x720" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "640x480" "640x400"
   EndSubSection

thanks
//sunny//

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:11 am 

s6k wrote:
and the window would cascade below the task bar at the bottom of my screen

right click the unavailable window title in the taskbar, click move - use your keyboard arrows to drag the window back to visible space

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:22 am 

gr00ve wrote:
right click the unavailable window title in the task bar, click move - use your keyboard arrows to drag the window back to visible space

I was unable to move the top of the window above the task panel at the top of my screen, but its a mute point since now I can not even log into that account, when i try I get the message from monitor that the resolution is not supported and that the optimum resolution 1680x1050 is there a way to change the resolution from the root account so i can logg-in to my non root account ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:49 am 

it /should be/ as simple as deleting .nvidia-settings-rc in the home dir of that user account

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, I was going to say that it should be the same for the user account as for the root account, unless perhaps you changed it under this menu item:

Menu->System->Preferences->Hardware->Screen Resolution

That said, if you are using nvidia proprietary drivers, you should specify that. I'm thinking of making a separate section in the forums so we can move non-free discussions out of the main threads since this often confuses people (e.g. there's no reason a person who is running a fully free system should have to hunt around and see if they have an .nvidiarc when that is only a non-free problem).

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:13 pm 

why does free or non free really make a difference? i mean i do understand your argument in this particular case and it might be a good idea to do this, since clearly there are different free & non-free things/issues which can easily be solution/problem, i mean more like in general?

like google is not free, you still use it though.
internet is not free, well to most folks anyways.
time itself is not free, neither are feelings.
pretty much nothing is really free in this life or the virtual world, be it software, people or anything else.

does it not matter more to get stuff to work? like personally i wouldn't care less what label [proprietary, open, closed, free, non free...] does a particular piece of software or hardware has as long as it does what i want it to do and it does so in a way i want it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:43 pm 

Not to speak for Jebba, but I'm guessing that in addition to being a philosophical issue it's also one of bandwidth: do the free software users on this forum have the time to help troubleshoot problems largely caused by the introduction of non-free software? Naturally BLAG users are free to install anything on their workstations, but it seems reasonable to relegate support questions regarding software outside of the BLAG repo to a separate sub-forum. Just my two pesos.

Respectfully,

Paul (Extra Special Bitter)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:01 pm 

With "FREE software" also comes the source code. It is really hard to fix one's own stuff if you do not know why it doesn't work...as trivia, it is easier to fix thier software, if one knows how it works.

This thread belongs in the slaveware forum, BTW.
b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:34 am 

sorry i didn't mean to cause any confusion I understand and agree with Jebba that n all free / non free propriety issues is a good idea sorry, I agree with the philosophy and wish i had a free alternative to get my graphics card working, my story is that i deleted windows from a 1 year old dell I bought for my family, i have 0 Linux experience but figured after reading the declaration of blag that I could blag my way through it, my family is about to kill me if I don't get the home pc up to par and I don't want to go back to Windows. and to make further excuses for my tardo behavior I have never posted to a forum, ever, until blag, I only used the Pc for the matrix online game, movies, music and the web. So a lot of this is new to me . with that said again i apologizes for being a #2
and Thanks for the support and help
and to clarify Jebba suggestion If I go to the
in root I can change the resolution in my non root account?
all help is welcomed and appreciated
//sunny//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:53 am 
Site Admin

s6k wrote:
sorry i didn't mean to cause any confusion I understand and agree with Jebba that n all free / non free propriety issues is a good idea sorry, I agree with the philosophy and wish i had a free alternative to get my graphics card working, my story is that i deleted windows from a 1 year old dell I bought for my family, i have 0 Linux experience but figured after reading the declaration of blag that I could blag my way through it, my family is about to kill me if I don't get the home pc up to par and I don't want to go back to Windows. and to make further excuses for my tardo behavior I have never posted to a forum, ever, until blag, I only used the Pc for the matrix online game, movies, music and the web. So a lot of this is new to me . with that said again i apologizes for being a #2

Understood. Perhaps try by just using free versions of the nvidia drivers, just for kicks, as you learn what we intend.

s6k wrote:
and Thanks for the support and help
and to clarify Jebba suggestion If I go to the
in root I can change the resolution in my non root account?
all help is welcomed and appreciated
//sunny//

The problem is that I really don't know the answer to your question as your system has been TAINTED by non-free software. In some blag systems the individual user can change the screen resolution themselves by going to that menu option. You are using the proprietary nvidia driver, which apparently has a .nvidiarc or somesuch that I know nothing about, nor do I want to learn anything about. This affects how that menu option works and likely can override it as well. Us free software users really don't have an answer to your problem (nor do we seek one). sry if that sounds a bit harsh, but uh, that's kind of sums it up. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:54 am 
Site Admin

s6k wrote:
I only used the Pc for the matrix online game, movies, music and the web.

I don't see why you would even need the proprietary driver for any of those objectives. The free driver should handle them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:12 am 

Thanks Jebba, unfortunately I can't get a certain Sponge Bob Square Pants game to work with the "nv" driver I ahve tried to replace the game with free ones but they don't work either and as for the fix is it possible i could remove the "nvidia" line in my x config and replace it with a "nv" and reverse this problem? or would that just screw thing up more. also I was actually having problems with the non root account display before i used the poisonous nvidia drive. I wrote how I couldn't access all of the windows when they were open the bottom of the screen was always past the task bar and I could not move it (the whole window)above the launch bar at the top of my screen. last what are the free Nvida drivers I was unaware of any because if their out there I would prefer that over the non free
any way thanks for the help
//sunny//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Well, the free ones are the ones that come on the BLAG CD.

As a side note, if you ever need to move a full window, to access an off-the-screen OK button for example, you can hold down the ALT key and click in the window to move it.

Sponge Bob is a communist plot. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:37 am 

I would have guessed Sponge Bob a Neo-Con Republican plot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:32 am 
Site Admin

s6k wrote:
I would have guessed Sponge Bob a Neo-Con Republican plot

What? Have you ever seen Patrick in lacy stockings?

Oh wait, I've seen Rudy Giuliani in tights too... Hmm, you may be on to something there...