FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Nvidia & gdm problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieburt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Nvidia & gdm problems Reply with quote

Hi,

I've installed the nvidia drivers direct from nviida and although they work, it seems to be creating two gdms which results in reverting to a level 3 login. If I kill the earlier gdm process then gdm fires up and I can login, can anyone suggest how to solve this so that it boots straight into gdm?

jamieburt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nvidia & gdm problems Reply with quote

jamieburt wrote:
Hi,

I've installed the nvidia drivers direct from nviida and although they work, it seems to be creating two gdms which results in reverting to a level 3 login. If I kill the earlier gdm process then gdm fires up and I can login, can anyone suggest how to solve this so that it boots straight into gdm?

I hate replying to my own post but I've removed the officail nvidia drivers and downloaded the rpm's from livna but I'm still having the same problem, trouble is, it does not happen all the time, only about every other boot. Quite puzzled by this.

jebba
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If when you boot up and it's at the login: prompt can you hit ctrl-alt-f7 to get to GDM? I've heard of reports where people say GDM is running, but its actually displaying vt1 (the first console). I'm not sure why though!

-Jeff

gr00ve
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just try removing rhgb via yum remove rhgb
would be nice to do same to evilboot errr firstboot* :)

jamieburt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: gdm Reply with quote

gr00ve wrote:

Yup, that did the trick very nicely thanks very much, also ctrl-Alt & F7 does bring up gdm but removing rhgb enables a quick clean boot.

jamieburt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: gdm Reply with quote

jamieburt wrote:
gr00ve wrote:

Yup, that did the trick very nicely thanks very much, also ctrl-Alt & F7 does bring up gdm but removing rhgb enables a quick clean boot.

OK, some months later, upgraded to Blag7k and have the same problems, except rhgb does not exist anymore!! This time however I can't kill a GDM process and login and seem to be stuck in a loop! does anybody have any pointers please?

Saint of Killers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video card are you running, and what did you do to install the drivers? Please be as detailed as possible. I did some research into installing mine, and once I worked out the necessary steps, it was very simple to do.
stevo32
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: gdm Reply with quote

jamieburt wrote:
jamieburt wrote:
gr00ve wrote:

OK, some months later, upgraded to Blag7k and have the same problems, except rhgb does not exist anymore!! This time however I can't kill a GDM process and login and seem to be stuck in a loop! does anybody have any pointers please?

Have you waited for it to attempt to start 5 times? If it fails more than that, it should stop.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: gdm Reply with quote

Thanks for replying guys, I found a link on google that told me to edit my xconf file which worked fine. Cheers.
Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP