FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Where is my networked PC mounted?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansencomputers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Where is my networked PC mounted? Reply with quote

Hi,
In Nautilus I have clicked on FILE, and then CONNECT TO SERVER. I have connected to a system on my network through the router. I am able to browse this networked system, copy files, etc.

Where is this "mounted" (the networked PC)?

I am trying to setup Grsync to backup my HOME folder to the system on the network (that I have connected to), but I don't know where it is "located", or "mounted".

I'm not sure that what I want is even possible. I would like to use fwbackups or Grsync, or something similar to run a backup and have the backup destination be on another PC on the network.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if this is possible, and if so, how I might get this working.

Mike H

hansencomputers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Perhaps I have worded this wrong. What I want to do is use Grsync and backup to another PC through my router. The Grsync GUI is easy to use, but I don't know where to find the networked PC.

I also do not know if this is possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike

jebba
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With rsync you can run an rsync server on the box you want to connect to remotely, or you can tunnel it through ssh if you have sshd running on the remote box.

I haven't used grsync, but on the command line, i run something like:

Code:
rsync -ultav \
        -e ssh \
        --stats --timeout=600 --progress \
        /home/jebba \
        root@192.168.1.2:/home/

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP