BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: BLAG on Acer 5315
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 18
Hi,

I installed BLAG 70K on my new ACER Aspire 5315 a few days ago. Not bad and I am very happy to use a wholly free distro with it instead of Ubuntu 7.10, that was my first option to replace that Vista thing, which was shipped with the machine.

The problem is, even using the newest kernel in BLAG's repositories (the truly-free 2.6.24.2.1-1blag.f7) I can't make to work the sound card nor the wifi card. Also, I can't connect to the Internet using the regular ethernet port, while using this newest kernel ( for what I have seen using ifconfig and the gnome network applications, only the local loop interface is configured).

This is what lspci says about my hardware:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

For what I have read while googling, it is all pretty new hardware, so I find quite normal not to have much support except from the newest kernel which, possibly is crippled with many proprietary bits.
I don't mind not using the wifi card, but I hope the sound problem is not due to a binary-only issue in the kernel.

I have tried various possibilities that I have found over the Net, but they are all for Debian based distros and I find myself a bit lost in a RedHat derived distro like this, in order to apply them. Also, it may well be that those solutions would depend on binary blobs.

Any suggestions would be welcomed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BLAG on Acer 5315
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:25 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
harmattan wrote:
I installed BLAG 70K on my new ACER Aspire 5315 a few days ago. Not bad and I am very happy to use a wholly free distro with it instead of Ubuntu 7.10, that was my first option to replace that Vista thing, which was shipped with the machine.


Nice thx :)

harmattan wrote:
The problem is, even using the newest kernel in BLAG's repositories (the truly-free 2.6.24.2.1-1blag.f7) I can't make to work the sound card nor the wifi card. Also, I can't connect to the Internet using the regular ethernet port, while using this newest kernel ( for what I have seen using ifconfig and the gnome network applications, only the local loop interface is configured).

This is what lspci says about my hardware:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)


I think this is supported by the snd_hda_intel driver. Turn up the volume. :) (?)

harmattan wrote:
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)


Not sure about this one in particular, but it may use the tg3 driver which may be broken in -libre kernel. Upstream from Linus it ships with proprietary firmware that isn't /required/ to use the card. I tried to remove the blob but leave the card still usable, but I don't think i've succeeded in that yet (gnewsense just yanks the whole driver).

harmattan wrote:
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5006EG 802.11 b/g Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)


This looks like it may be the same thing that's in the EeePC. Someday (hopefully soon), it will be supported in the ath5k driver. Upstream is working on it. I have info about it and test drivers here:

http://www.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/de ... docs/wifi/
http://www.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/de ... ware/wifi/

harmattan wrote:
For what I have read while googling, it is all pretty new hardware, so I find quite normal not to have much support except from the newest kernel which, possibly is crippled with many proprietary bits.
I don't mind not using the wifi card, but I hope the sound problem is not due to a binary-only issue in the kernel.


I would guess if it isn't in the ALSA that's in BLAG it is probably supported in the very latest ALSA releases upstream from them or will be supported RSN.

Have fun,

-Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 18
Hi jebba,

No luck so far with the audio issue, even 'turning de music really up' ;-)

I see the volume controls in Gnome working and I have even tried configuring alsamixer (as root).

While using Ubuntu 7.10 (kernel 2.6.22) I had to download a module called

linux-backports-modules-generic

and then add 'options snd-hda-intel model=acer' to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base'

Maybe It is needed something like this in BLAG's kernel(s)?


As for the wifi, I will try to search carefully through your links and do some tests next weekend.

Thanks and keep up the good work!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:00 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:17 pm
Posts: 4492
Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA
harmattan wrote:
and then add 'options snd-hda-intel model=acer' to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base'

Maybe It is needed something like this in BLAG's kernel(s)?


Ya, that sounds like a generic kernel option, nothing blag specific. Try adding it to /etc/modprobe.conf. There should be a snd-hda-intel line there already. So system-config-soundcard finds it ok? What does mplayer say when you try to play something?


harmattan wrote:
As for the wifi, I will try to search carefully through your links and do some tests next weekend.


The summary of this is that it still isn't working (in the eeepc) in mickflemm's -test3 yet either.

-Jeff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 18
Hi again.

Following your advice I added 'options snd-hda-intel model=acer' to /etc/modprobe.conf, so the sound, at last, works with the 2.6.24-libre kernel (not the other one).
Before that, neither Mplayer ( invoked from the console) nor system-config-soundcards showed any sign of error, except that no sound at all went out of the speakers, of course :-)
Sadly, if I want to surf the web I still have to restart the laptop, in order to use 2.6.22.9-91-fc7 to make the ethernet work.

Damn proprietary firmware. Grrrrr! :-(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group