BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:48 am 

Hi,
I'm considering buying an ultra small laptop. The ASUS Eee PC2G or 4G. They come with solid-state hard drives, 2GB or 4GB size, 512MB DDR2 RAM. There are USB ports. Typically they have Linux (Xandros, I think) pre-installed. 800X480 resolution.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install BLAG on one of these?

I know it is a long shot, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:58 am 
Site Admin

debian
http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2007 ... ee-pc.html

eeedora
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/02/1 ... c-eeedora/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 am 

Thanks for the links John. In the second article, I see this line:

"Because the Eee PC is a full-blown Intel-based computer, there is absolutely nothing stopping us from installing other Linux distributions on it."

If I understand this correctly, I should be able to boot off of a USB CD Drive and install BLAG 70K. The article also mentions that one can boot a live Linux on USB flash drive.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna grab one of these on eBay and start playing with it. I want small size and light weight.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:12 am 
Site Admin

hansencomputers wrote:
Hi,
I'm considering buying an ultra small laptop. The ASUS Eee PC2G or 4G. They come with solid-state hard drives, 2GB or 4GB size, 512MB DDR2 RAM. There are USB ports. Typically they have Linux (Xandros, I think) pre-installed. 800X480 resolution.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install BLAG on one of these?

I am running BLAGHEAD on one. :) They rule. get one.

See also:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/de ... jebba/eee/

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:16 am 
Site Admin

hansencomputers wrote:
If I understand this correctly, I should be able to boot off of a USB CD Drive and install BLAG 70K.

Si.

But it won't have wifi, ethernet, camera. The ethernet driver isn't in the vanilla kernel yet. There is some lame non-free way to get wifi going with madwifi--but there is active work being done on a free ath5k driver for it. There is a driver for the camera, but it is out of the main linux tree.

I have a patched kernel source that has the above plus a .config to use with the eee:
http://www.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/de ... re/kernel/

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:31 am 

Thanks again. I will get one. The WiFi is sort of important, but can live with a wired connection for now.

When I'm in China, I use the wired connection in my hotel, but it is really slow, almost like dial up. I think messages are monitored.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:21 pm 

All I want is a laptop with wifi with free software, don't care if it's slow, I just want to get a connection. I don't care if I have CGA graphics at that point. I looked at the tiny HP linux laptops coming down the line but they have the broadcom stuff

This is one of the reason having a non-free Linux come on a Laptop is of little use to the free software community.

I would have bought an eeePC if wifi support for free software was there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

noldrin wrote:
All I want is a laptop with wifi with free software, don't care if it's slow, I just want to get a connection. I don't care if I have CGA graphics at that point. I looked at the tiny HP linux laptops coming down the line but they have the broadcom stuff

This is one of the reason having a non-free Linux come on a Laptop is of little use to the free software community.

I would have bought an eeePC if wifi support for free software was there.

With the Eee you do have free software support for /nearly/ everything. The ath5k free software wifi driver should be ready RSN. The hardest part is a free BIOS of course...

You can just plug in to ethernet too, that's what I'm doing for now. :)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:49 pm 

I wouldn't be adverse to using the closed source driver, as it would allow me to use all the free software. I'm just adverse to buying hardware without it already having free software support, unless I'm somehow helping them test the free software.

Unfortunately 90% of my Internet use with a laptop is stuck with wifi. 100% right now because someone stole my switch at work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 pm 

This is more of an Eee question than a BLAG question, but as BLAG is my default OS and we are discussing Eee, I dare to ask: some reviews I've read refer to the Eee as an "extra" laptop, meaning that it's not appropriate for a primary system. Have Eee users here found that to be the case? I have a daughter who is in need of a new laptop. My plan was to give her my Dell Latitude 6000 and to buy a newer one for myself. :^)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

It can certainly be used as a main laptop. I just got a 20 gig version yesterday. With 20 gigs of space, wow, it's nice.

Jaromil has his connected to some huge monitory doing 1600x1200 or something, so it's capable of even that. If you're writing a dissertation or something, you may want an external keyboard/mouse... The 20g has a nicer feel to the keyboard than the 4G.

ciao,

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:00 am 

The 20GB version, available here in the States for about $549, sure is tempting. I used to scavenge the "take me" bins for clunky old PCs, telling myself "I can totally make this into a print server" to my wife's chagrin. I could practically sneak an Eee into the door without her noticing. ;^)