BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:53 pm 

jebba wrote:
You want gdm if you want a graphical system. apt-get install it. ;)

An "apt-get install gdm" shows that gdm is already installed. "startx", however, fails - even when I replace the default xorg.conf with the one that worked just fine on BLAG 70000. I'll research this a little bit more today - perhaps I need a more current xorg.conf.

Quote:
If the `apt-get dist-upgrade` or `yum update` tells you it is going to remove a bunch of stuff, don't run it. ;) Try not to lose important packages, in sum, but get the ones updated you need. :)

I think an overly aggressive removal of packages might have caused my "panic" last night. When I get home from work tonight I'll start out with a (hopefully) quick reboot, followed by some careful surgery of existing fc7 packages.

Cheers!

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

extraspecialbitter wrote:
"startx", however, fails - even when I replace the default xorg.conf with the one that worked just fine on BLAG 70000. I'll research this a little bit more today - perhaps I need a more current xorg.conf.

The preferred way is to not have *any* /etc/X11/xorg.conf now. So just remove it. If you need special tweaks to sections, you can add just those parts (works for somethings).

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

I added a package with yum repos. Usually this is a part of the blag-release package, but i'm breaking it out now so i can change it without having to update blag-release...

So, to get yum going on blaghead if you have apt working run:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install blag-package-config-yum

Then you should be able to `yum update` and such fine. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:07 pm 

extraspecialbitter wrote
Quote:
I think an overly aggressive removal of packages might have caused my "panic" last night. When I get home from work tonight I'll start out with a (hopefully) quick reboot, followed by some careful surgery of existing fc7 packages.

you have to be careful when removing apps which are causing conflicts on the system, if they are taking large numbers of files or ones which are necessary then say NO!! and post on the forum or shout on irc for help.

My blaghead is up and running sweet at the moment and has been very stable since jebba helped me and add/change stuff in the repo, he needs to know the apps/files causing the conflicts to be able to resolve them. But the most important thing is to remove all the other repos and have only the blaghead repo before doing apt-get dist-upgrade and keep working at it people, follow the instructions on the wiki you will love blaghead when you get it working I think it's going to be the best one yet.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:10 pm 

Any time frame for when an employed Sr. citizen might get to play with a 99% functional new release? I am a whore for the new... and I know that you know it. :).

I still retain some command line skills - but I forget what they are.

When I was your age, I programmed in machine language. Now, trying to follow the "C" code in mdadm, I become a pile of froth.

BLAG has, for me, been the best distro [and, yes I actually PAID for several] that I have experienced. The folks, you Jebba, and the herd, have been the most responsive that I have ever encountered. You may consider me for Beta testing of anything that 1) works somewhat, and 2) Doesn't eat resident data.

b-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

blaghead may be a bit too dodgy for your criteria berkbw, but thanks for the comments. As for when a "stable" release is coming out, uh... Look for something based on f9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:20 pm 

jebba wrote:
"startx", however, fails - even when I replace the default xorg.conf with the one that worked just fine on BLAG 70000. I'll research this a little bit more today - perhaps I need a more current xorg.conf.

The preferred way is to not have *any* /etc/X11/xorg.conf now. So just remove it. If you need special tweaks to sections, you can add just those parts (works for somethings).

-Jeff

Interestingly, as soon as I removed (actually moved to /tmp, being a paranoid sys admin from way back) xorg.conf I was able to execute "startx" right away. Thanks for the tip!

BTW - who is responsible for the musical accompaniment? :^)

Last edited by extraspecialbitter on Mon May 05, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: openjdk errors
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 pm 

I just tried installing openjdk (which is in the repo - thank you!) but ran into the following error:

Code:
root@bocajuniors=> apt-get install java-1.6.0-openjdk
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or that some of the repositories
in use are in an inconsistent state at the moment.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  java-1.6.0-openjdk: Depends: jpackage-utils (>= 1.7.3-1jpp.3) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

I can get jpackage from http://www.jpackage.org/, but before I do, is it free (as in speech) software?

Post subject: Re: openjdk errors
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

I just tried installing openjdk (which is in the repo - thank you!) but ran into the following error:

Code:

java-1.6.0-openjdk: Depends: jpackage-utils (>= 1.7.3-1jpp.3) but it is not installable

I can get jpackage from http://www.jpackage.org/, but before I do, is it free (as in speech) software?

Code:
$ rpm -qp --queryformat "%{LICENSE}\n" fedora/development/source/SRPMS/jpackage-utils-1.7.5-1jpp.1.fc9.src.rpm
JPackage License

I went thru the list of licenses, but didn't find the "word" on this one. Does anyone know if it's FSF-free? If so, I'll add it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:31 pm 

jebba wrote:

Code:

Code:
$ rpm -qp --queryformat "%{LICENSE}\n" fedora/development/source/SRPMS/jpackage-utils-1.7.5-1jpp.1.fc9.src.rpm
JPackage License

I went thru the list of licenses, but didn't find the "word" on this one. Does anyone know if it's FSF-free? If so, I'll add it.

actually, http://www.jpackage.org/jppfaq.php implies that there are sections of jpackage that are non-free. :^(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 pm 

jebba wrote:
rsyslog replaces sysklog. You may be able to remove *most* (but not all) of `rpm -qa | grep fc7`. You could `yum install rsyslog` too.

Thanks:-) Removed some of the fc7 stuff. "Yum install rsyslog" still gives the same error, though. And there are two dependencies missing when I try to upgrade the remaining packages:
Quote:
fuse-kmdl-2.7.3-8_9.fc8_93 is needed by fuse-2.7.3-8_9.fc8_93 (blaghead)
libjasper.so.1 is needed by ghostscript-8.62-3.fc9.i386 (blaghead)

Still, BLAGHEAD is looking beautiful, and is my new favorite:-)

-robert

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:45 pm 

actually, http://www.jpackage.org/jppfaq.php implies that there are sections of jpackage that are non-free. :^(

By the way, the above URL has a link that permits users to add their "votes" to a bug filed against Sun to remove non-free binaries from JPackage. It could be my most significant vote all year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

veganix wrote:
jebba wrote:
rsyslog replaces sysklog. You may be able to remove *most* (but not all) of `rpm -qa | grep fc7`. You could `yum install rsyslog` too.

Thanks:-) Removed some of the fc7 stuff. "Yum install rsyslog" still gives the same error, though.

I think the issue may be here that we are jumping from f7 to f9 basically, and the rsyslog/sysklog migration was handled by anaconda in f8 or somesuch. Anyway, I'm seeing it to. I'm hoping to get together a minicd to make fresh installs easier to get going.

veganix wrote:
And there are two dependencies missing when I try to upgrade the remaining packages:
fuse-kmdl-2.7.3-8_9.fc8_93 is needed by fuse-2.7.3-8_9.fc8_93 (blaghead)
libjasper.so.1 is needed by ghostscript-8.62-3.fc9.i386 (blaghead)

rpm -e fuse

I'm guessing you are i386. I added the jasper stuff awhile back, but just to x86_64. I have that more automated now so what gets added to one will hit the other. Anyway, it's in the repo now.

By the way, if someone could double-check the jasper license for me, I would appreciate it.

veganix wrote:
Still, BLAGHEAD is looking beautiful, and is my new favorite:-)

:)

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:06 am 
Site Admin

The blag-noise mailing list is now sending out lists of BLAGHEAD package updates, held packages, etc.

https://www.autistici.org/mailman/listinfo/blag-noise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:02 am 
Site Admin

Ok, i just updated the main blag devel box to BLAGHEAD from blag80k. Here's what I did:

Code:
rpm -Uvh http://www.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/blaghead/en/os/i386/BLAG/Packages.blag/blag-package-config-apt-9-0blag.f9.noarch.rpm

rpm -Uvh http://www.blagblagblag.org/pub/BLAG/linux/blaghead/en/os/i386/BLAG/Packages.blag/blag-package-config-yum-9-0blag.f9.i386.rpm

rpm -e fuse ntfs-3g

apt-get update

apt-get install upstart event-compat-sysv util-linux-ng ncurses-libs   <-- POINT OF NO RETURN

apt-get dist-upgrade

sync

reboot

You have to power cycle as the initsystem has changed and won't reboot cleanly. On reboot i had 2 glibcs.

Code:
rpm -q glibc
rpm -e glibc-2.7-2.x86_64
apt-get update
apt-get install ncurses-libs

apt-get check

Voila!

Last edited by jebba on Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next