FAQ   Search   Memberlist  
Profile    Log in to check your private messages    Register    Log in
Ifconfig command not working.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxnewbie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Ifconfig command not working. Reply with quote

Hi all! greetings to everyone........... Ok, I'm a relative newbie to linux and I've tinkered around with different linux distros and stumbled upon blag. I'm familiar with basic linux commands and all, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why the ifconfig command doesn't work on my blag box. When logged in as root, and I type "/sbin/ifconfig", I get a -bash command not found error message. I know that this simple command works in most linux distros, why not on my blag box? Is this a security related issue by any chance?

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks in advance!
Ln

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrugs* works for me...no idea what you did wrong...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo32 wrote:
*shrugs* works for me...no idea what you did wrong...

Hi! I finally got the command to work after rebooting my pc. Haven't the slightest idea what the problem was.

jebba
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it's almost impossible to do an install without /sbin/ifconfig there. Just make sure you're typing it in correctly... Also, if you log in as root, you can just run "ifconfig" (though both should work fine).

The only possibility I can think of is that you accidentally removed the file or something. If so, you'll need to reinstall the net-tools rpm for your system. To see if it's there run:
Code:
ls -l /sbin/ifconfig

-Jeff

linuxnewbie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebba wrote:
Man, it's almost impossible to do an install without /sbin/ifconfig there. Just make sure you're typing it in correctly... Also, if you log in as root, you can just run "ifconfig" (though both should work fine).

The only possibility I can think of is that you accidentally removed the file or something. If so, you'll need to reinstall the net-tools rpm for your system. To see if it's there run:
Code:
ls -l /sbin/ifconfig

-Jeff

Thanks jeff! I did the check that you recommended. All is fine!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, in the subject you were typing l or I (lower L or upper i). Linux is case-sensitive. Perhaps that was what happened.

Have fun,

-Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP