BLAG

BLAG Forums
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The future of BLAG
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:30 pm 

jebba wrote:
Well, to be honest the specifics of what BLAG the distro is going to be about may be a bit up in the air at the moment. So I'm interested in input from others about where people want to take things. With gnewsense in the picture providing a reasonably stable debian based distro there isn't really a point in us doing the exact same thing. Recently I have been quite enthused about BLAGHEAD and making BLAG super bleeding edge. So that way people wanting to run a completely free distro could choose gnewsense if they wanted some longer term stable install, or BLAGHEAD if they want to use the latest and greatest in the free software world.

I like the idea of a bleeding edge BLAG, particularly as other Free Software-oriented distros focus on stabilizing the Linux desktop. One can use gnewsense or BLAG, depending upon one's comfort zone, without feeling as if one was betraying a distro in favor of the other. guilt-free computing: another reason to choose Linux...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:54 pm 

I'm fairly torn on this one.

One of the differences in BLAG is it tends to be a more complete desktop experience, although I can see how BLAGHEAD would be even more so.

While personally I prefer the classic release schedule, I'd think that if jebba is excited about BLAGHEAD, it makes sense to focus on that. Would we get occasionally updated BLAGHEAD seed discs?

Another note is people are complaining that Fedora 9 is to close to bleedware.

I'll have to give BLAGHEAD a whirl..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

BLAGHEAD: Software from the Future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

How big is the BLAGHEAD repo? If I where to use it I'd move my mirror from 70 to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

currently:

26G i386
15G x86_64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Cool. In that case I'll start bugging Vasco to get me up to speed on this release ;-)

!ping Weyasey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:35 pm 

jebba wrote:
BLAGHEAD: Software from the Future

Weird questions for the devil's advocate:
Is the user of today ready for the Software from the future?
Is even the user of tomorrow ready for the Software fromm the future?
Doesn't it seem like only the user from the past is ready for the software from the future.

Throwing up random ideas which may be impossible to implement but might be what would make BLAGHEAD complete/perfect:
Could there be any way to synchronize problem solutions through the distro? That means if there comes up a problem due to bleeding-edgeness could you think of a way in which the community as a whole could solve this directly? Of course if one or a group of users have found out how to do it they can post it on the forums or wiki and others can follow their steps. But I'm thinking of a more direct way like for example the problem of no graphical interface after upgrade to BLAGHEAD: One user finds out that it's xorg.conf causing the trouble and that everything is going to be fine if BLAGHEAD produces it on the fly he could file a patch deleting xorg.conf and everyone else could directly overcome this problem.
This of course seems rather difficult to implement and of course I don't want anyone to delete my xorg.conf (or uncomment the line disabling signature checking of packages) without my consent because he thinks it to be an appropriate way to handle things for HIS system.
But that idea just came up and I thought I'd share it.. maybe someone can make something useful out of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

I think the most likely path is to do a f9 release base using pungi, then people can be on that "stable" series and go to blaghead if they want.

I'll create a 90000 repo setup, now that i have scripts that make this easier for me that i used to setup blaghead, and then pungi can be used to build a CD instead of the old cruft I have. Perhaps some enterprising blagger can even writeup some pungi configs for blag90k... I have built test versions of blag in the past with pungi, but not recently. The pungi builds had less space available to them than my scripts though (e.g. less RPMS fit).

I have to rework a few things on the server (uh, such as dropping most mirrors) too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:07 pm 

jebba wrote
Quote:
I think the most likely path is to do a f9 release base using pungi, then people can be on that "stable" series and go to blaghead if they want.

That's a good idea, it would satisfy the people who want to stick with a version for years and blaghead would suit people like me who just love living on the edge.

john maclean wrote
Quote:
Cool. In that case I'll start bugging Vasco to get me up to speed on this release ;-)

You don't have to bug me mate...glad to do it, i know you are one of those people who would love to be still using blag 30k ;P

noldrin wrote
Quote:
I'll have to give BLAGHEAD a whirl..

be careful it might make you dizzy and give you a nose bleed :)

extraspecialbitter wrote
Quote:
I like the idea of a bleeding edge BLAG, particularly as other Free Software-oriented distros focus on stabilizing the Linux desktop.

I also love blag because it is always pushing the enveloupe and always evolving, if i wanted a distro that stands still i would use Debian....7 or more years between new releases.
Blag is for people who not fearful of the future and who are brave enough to travel new frontiers and boldly go where no man has gone before ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:12 pm 

jebba wrote:
The pungi builds had less space available to them than my scripts though (e.g. less RPMS fit).

Perhaps it's time to consider switching over to XFCE? Especially if you want to get a JRE in there. Does Gnome over XFCE add more benefit than the lost apps? I think one of the cool parts of Gnome is showing people what good solid free software is out there besides what you see on most of the other distros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 pm 

weyasey wrote:
I also love blag because it is always pushing the enveloupe and always evolving, if i wanted a distro that stands still i would use Debian....7 or more years between new releases.

I think it just seemed like 7 years. The worst wait was just under 3 years. Heck windows only went 6 years, although it still really wasn't done when released.